Roo Runt...Runty Roo...

BethESH

Songster
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Hi All,

My FAVORITE baby cockerel (Sam) seems to be lagging behind in his growth. I have 12 babies in all, two roos, 10 pullets. Sam isn't growing as fast as his roo counterpart, Einar.
hmm.png
Sam's wings don't seem to be developing as fast, and the feathers aren't coming in as quickly as even the girls's are.

Is there something I can do to promote growth? The others are fat, happy and sassy (except Flounder, the girl with the spraddle leg.)

Any thoughts/ideas? I'd prefer not to separate him to feed him a special diet since he's getting along really well with everyone...

Will he catch up on his own?

Thanks, you brilliant folks!
love.gif

Beth

What kind of feeder are you using? Is there enough space that everyone can get to the feed equally? Where did you get your chicks and are you sure he's not a bantam and the others large fowl? That would make a difference in how they grow. Not much else you can do, but hope he catches up in the long run..and most do.

I'm using one of those round - several opening - plastic jar - gravity fed thingamabobs. He's eating...quite well, from what I've observed.

They're all Norwegian Jaerhons, which, from my understanding is one of the smaller standards. I don't think that they have bantam NJs yet...

Maybe if I quit snuggle/squishing him, that might help! (Just kidding...I know better...)

I have a runt roo currently as well. He's 7 wks old and has been the runt since the beginning. While he has slowly been catching up in size, his feathering is way behind. I asked a similar question a few days ago and was told that he should be caught up by week 12 (feathering and all). My little guy is a runt, but feisty! When we start letting them outside, he'll have to stay in though 'till he feathers out more, otherwise he's gonna be a sunburned chick. Unless your little roo is acting different, I wouldn't worry about it and let nature takes it's course (albeit a slow course). He'll catch up eventually.
smile.png

Roos tend to feather more slowly than pullets, and some considerably slower than others. Size wise if you can observe him eating and drinking well on his own I wouldn't worry. My Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Cockerel was teeny tiny compared to the rest for several weeks and then he just caught up. As long as your chick isn't acting sick I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a runty RIR roo, he's really active and friendly but just a bit behind in size, feathering and comb development. He's always been that way, I call him "Runty"

Runty is the one in the middle, his brother on the left - you can see how much skinnier he is
chicksday30013.jpg

Nothin wrong with him as far as I can tell, he's been the runty one for a few weeks and it doesn't seem to hurt a thing.

Thank you all for your insights! Sam is just a delight...he may just be slow developing, although someone told my darling man that he may have been stunted by getting cold in shipping.

The babies are only two weeks old today, so maybe I'm jumping the gun with my concerns...

My little partridge cochin pullet was really slow to to develope but since she has gone out to the coop with the others she has really been catching up pretty quick, her foot and leg feathering leaves alot to be desired but she is the same size now as the other girls and her feathering is coming in much better now. I guess they're just like any other kid they all do things alittle different. but your little quy will get there with time. Im sure.

Back
Top Bottom