1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo? Saddle feathers at 9 weeks? UPDATED CLEARER PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Snowchicken56, May 19, 2016.

1. Snowchicken56

Snowchicken56 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    Maine
    Here is another one of my mixed breed babies. Almost 9 weeks old. The comb and waddles are small and pink, not red, but the tail concerns me. Starting to look like a rooster tail. Sorry for the picture quality, only had my iPad handy. Thoughts?

. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eon69nc

Eon69nc Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2014
    Yup that is a rooster for sure. tail and feathers show male.

3. Snowchicken56

Feb 22, 2015
    Maine
    That is what I as afraid of. :( so far it's been 4 Roos out of 7 hatched!

4. Snowchicken56

Feb 22, 2015
    Maine
    i thought saddle and hackle feathers don't usually show up this early? Are these definite saddle feathers?

5. Lincy

Lincy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    I would wait it out. Those aren't very pointed feathers and I've heard of pullets molting feathers looking like saddle feathers. That head and stance look like a pullet to me. Any rooster behaviors?

6. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Yes. Yours is definitely a rooster. Not sure when the feathers typically show up , but that's what those are. The tail is also a dead giveaway. Sorry [​IMG]

7. Snowchicken56

Feb 22, 2015
    Maine

No real cockerel behavior yet, but I will give it a few weeks to see how he/she continues to feather out. Thanks!

8. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Especially if that one is lower in the pecking order, it won't show cock behavior yet. Still, you can wait a little longer if you're unsure. It won't hurt, as long as it's not a bother to the pullets.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think it's a pullet [​IMG]

I'm thinking those feathers are an optical illusion, it's the dark pattern and not the actual shape of the feather itself. To be sure, you can catch the bird and lay a sheet of white paper under one of those feathers. Easier said than done, I know! But that will allow you to see the true shape of the feathers. I agree 9 weeks is quite young for sex feathers, and the comb, thin legs and overall feminine look make me think pullet.

Let us know?

10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They do not look like saddle feathers to me, and they look rounded. I think the pattern on them makes them look pointy. Saddle feathers tend to sprout along the lower back first, not near the tail. With the lack of comb color, thin legs, and uniform red coloration I think it is a pullet. I would expect a cockerel to have more comb color, darker red shading in the wings and a more leggy, gangly appearance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by