Roo suggestions please

amandac

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Hi. I am not sure this is the correct place to post this question, but here goes. I have a small mixed flock of hens, 3 BSL, 1 BR and 3 EE. I am concidering getting a rooster to hang with the girls, and I wanted some suggestions on what would be the best breed to get. I would let a hen raise some chicks, if she were so inclined and I really don't care if they are mutts. Just wondered what breed of Roo may fit well with these girls and produce cute chickies if the situation arose. Thanks!
big_smile.png

Of all the many breeds I've had experience with, an Ameraucana would be your all time best choice. . . But that requires finding a breeder of real Ameraucanas.
wink.png

So otherwise, I'd say go with an EE. Their temperaments can vary, but often I've known sweet ones, and they always have the coolest, most colorful patterns as males. Plus, you get the bonus of him having a blue egg gene.
wink.png

I have an ee Roo and he is sooo sweet to the girls and to me. he stays with them while they are laying, and carrys on like he was helping lay. he eats out of my hand and protects the girls from the younger roos( I was assured that the new chickens I bought were Hens turned out 5 more Roos) He will stay and the other roos will go but they are all sweet, and handsome!
wink.png

I little research would probably help you, but personal experience in the best way. I have had so many roos and I don't want to leave a big post on my experience. I will say that just because you like the way one roo looks does not mean that he is the roo for your girls and you. Personality mean a lot too. Don't get me wrong, my girls don't got willingly to a ugly roo. You might could just find a nice mixed roo. People are always giving away (or selling at low prices) unwanted or unneeded roos (pure and mixed). Personalty I have enjoyed my Game roos the best (all varying personalities), then it would be my SS roos (all sweet, calm, and genital), next in line are my mixes (most sweet and calm, others a little flighty, seldom a cull). My Dorking roos were a little to skiddish. My EE are overall great as well but can be big bullies if you have too many.
wink.png
Overall, for my to say what would be the (or one of the) best roo for you might end in utter disappointment. But watch the weight, too big of a roo for a small girl can be hazardous no matter how genital he is. Good luck and hope you get a keeper.
smile.png

Ameraucana roos are by far the best choice if possible. EE's are okay, but they do vary in temperament depending on what they are crossed with..... so be careful if you choose an EE.

The Marans boy I had was actually the best boy I've ever had.... he was just too big for my girls, though.

Back
Top Bottom