Roof condensation

Ventilation: good, draft: bad. The idea of the "draft" part of things is the idea of cold air blowing on your chickens as they try to warm themselves on their roost. In nature, birds would be able to move to a different roost to avoid the prevailing winds, but our chickens are limited by what roosts we offer them. That's why it's important to make sure your ventilation holes are above the level of your roosts, and why it's important to make sure you don't set up any kind of cross ventilation air flow that blows over the roosts (such as a high vent across from a low vent or open pop door).

Cold, wet air is more chilling than cold, dry air. I was raised in Vermont so I'm no stranger to cold; yet one year my husband and I went to Montreal on Christmas Eve. I have never been colder in my life! The air was full of moisture from the St. Lawrence. That was 25 years ago and I still shudder when I remember it.

You've gotten some good advice here. I'd consider this blip in the weather a good chance to test drive your ventilation before the real winter sets in. Looks like you need some modification.

I can't recommend opening a window to ventilate your coop. Here in MN, my windows have been shut and locked now for weeks.

While it seems oxymoronic to put holes in your coop when the goal is to keep them warm, it does work. Keep the holes up high, above the birds heads, so that cold air is not blowing on them while they roost. Yes, some warm air is going to escape, but it will take the moisture with it.

Depending on where your roost is, I'd add some ventilation holes in the gables or at the back of the coop, under the roof overhang. I think that Pat recommends 1 sq/ft per chicken. You can't have TOO MUCH as long as you have the ability to close it up when desired.

If you want something that looks a little more finished than plain hardware wire, you can always install a heat/air return vent from Home Depot. That's what I did.

BTW, Your coop/run/backyard are just lovely.

What it sounds like to me is that you need a Ridge vent something like this and soffit vents like this in between the joists on each side of the coop.

Chris

Quote:
I suggested the gable ends because they looked to be the highest point in a small coop. If there's not much overhang on the sides, you probably don't want to do that, unless you add a small "shutter" on a hinge above the vent to double as an overhang. Hard to tell with just the avatar tumbnail to go by.

You do want the vents to be well above where the birds roost, though. I think someone earlier suggested a ridge vent at the roof peak. That would work great, although it's probably a bit costly.

Condensation occurs when warm air, which contains more water, comes in contact with a surface that is colder than the "dew point" of the warm moist air.
If you can live with the temperature inside the building the same as it is outside one problem is solved. Obviously others are created.

I would recomend that you insulate (and not much is needed, 3/4 styrofoam type board will do. Place this under the roof, but not in contact with it, and then have some sort of vapor barrier under the insulation and as close to the warm air as possible. This is usually plastic sheeting. Then you can cover the plastic with some sort of light finish material. Chickens will eat styrofoam products like it was candy.

That will stop the condensation under the roof and it may just move it down the wall. Consider that complication before you finish insulating.

Ultimately you need to provide some sort of ventilation to maintain minimum air quality. Air quality is compromised by four factors- moisture, gases, particulate matter and pathogens. The only resonable way to get rid of those problemss is by conducting them out of the environment with air. And in most wintertime situations that will usually be warm air which is replaced with cold air.

With attentive management holes and vents and flaps and whatever can be used to maintain air quality and reduce heat loss. But both are a lot simpler in an insulated structure.

And a small fan and thermostat or percentage time will make it all the better.

I think DH is going to try the Styrofoam board under the roof as suggested. We will try to manage this winter but may plan to build another coop that is bigger and better vented next spring. We may use this smaller coop for brooder purposes. Thanks all for your responses. You're great.

Back
Top Bottom