Roof Rats. I can’t remove the food (citrus)

Pics

Apache12

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
So my back yard has mature citrus trees and there is nowhere I can put a coop that isn’t by citrus. plus I’m in Phx Az and they need the shade. So I’ve read the rat post and the article in it recently posted but I can’t remove the food because they eat the citrus. Then I think they are sleeping in the nesting boxes. I started finding citrus peel and rocks. The hens still lay in the box no egg problems. The feeder is high off the ground as is the water. They can’t get in there. see the pics I think they are climbing up the wood base and in the wire. Can I put a mesh wire around the. Top of the wood. Or would they climb the mesh until they get to more open wire? Should I mesh the entire coop. So ugly. I have traps. And I’ve had the traps for years and fight an ongoing battle with the rates. Never in the house thank God. Roof rates are a smaller rat. Males are a big mouse females can get good size. I rarely Get them in the traps. I can’t use poison. I have dogs

Attachments

• D3115BF5-AAB8-4C9E-8BD9-8D5E5AC6ACC2.jpeg
    D3115BF5-AAB8-4C9E-8BD9-8D5E5AC6ACC2.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 6B687C03-D836-4A24-85BE-2FD0F1E79221.jpeg
    6B687C03-D836-4A24-85BE-2FD0F1E79221.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 7C051CF6-21D3-4267-8509-5C613058A7EB.jpeg
    7C051CF6-21D3-4267-8509-5C613058A7EB.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 46
In my opinion you should hardware mesh the entire coop. The rats will for sure climb the mesh until they find an opening otherwise. It may be a little uglier but you could make it virtually rat proof with mesh, especially with that compact of an area.

So my back yard has mature citrus trees and there is nowhere I can put a coop that isn’t by citrus. plus I’m in Phx Az and they need the shade. So I’ve read the rat post and the article in it recently posted but I can’t remove the food because they eat the citrus. Then I think they are sleeping in the nesting boxes. I started finding citrus peel and rocks. The hens still lay in the box no egg problems. The feeder is high off the ground as is the water. They can’t get in there. see the pics I think they are climbing up the wood base and in the wire. Can I put a mesh wire around the. Top of the wood. Or would they climb the mesh until they get to more open wire? Should I mesh the entire coop. So ugly. I have traps. And I’ve had the traps for years and fight an ongoing battle with the rates. Never in the house thank God. Roof rates are a smaller rat. Males are a big mouse females can get good size. I rarely Get them in the traps. I can’t use poison. I have dogs

so there is a smaller wire you can use. Tractor supply carries it. I had to use it the roof rats killed my baby chicks! These rats eat anything not just the fruit off the trees and have a litter of babies like every 3 months. Good luck

Attachments

• 8EA0A218-47D0-4EB9-9F0E-6E1EFB802128.jpeg
    8EA0A218-47D0-4EB9-9F0E-6E1EFB802128.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 44
The article says "The one and only way to get rid of rats forever is to stop feeding them" If the tree is their food source I'd recommend getting rid of it , unless that's not an option . I do use plastic roofing for shade .

The article says "The one and only way to get rid of rats forever is to stop feeding them" If the tree is their food source I'd recommend getting rid of it unless that's not an option .
I don't think that that is what the article is getting at, It says to stop "feeding" them, meaning you need to stop giving them a free meal, of open chicken feed. They have to work quite a bit harder, to get up in a tree to eat, and will be discouraged and may leave, if they are driven out with all of the other additions mentioned in the article. Anyway, I get your point, it is funny to think about. 😊

I can’t use poison
Sometimes poison is actually the only solution too.
I highly recommend not using poison. It is horrible for other wildlife, and the OP said she can't. I agree, poison sometimes is the only end to it. But, natural poisons like plaster of paris, or unabsorbed instant mashed potatoes are the best solution. You still need to get bait boxes when using ANY kind of poison, to make sure NOTHING else eats it.

i dunno, ive had really good luck with glue traps, the trick is just getting them in the right place where theyre running .. stops them dead instantly from 90mph lol ... i just about completely eliminated the problem i had and they were were getting in the shed where i keep the food and a seemingly endless supply was coming from an old delapidated building the neighbors i think keep their garbage in right on the other side of my fence... but yeah, 50 pack of i think 5X10 glue traps on amazon .. i threw a couple three down in the shed and just about every day i got 2 or 3 for ahwile until now i rarely see any evidence of one .. thinned um right out lol ..

i dunno, ive had really good luck with glue traps, the trick is just getting them in the right place where theyre running .. stops them dead instantly from 90mph lol ... i just about completely eliminated the problem i had and they were were getting in the shed where i keep the food and a seemingly endless supply was coming from an old delapidated building the neighbors i think keep their garbage in right on the other side of my fence... but yeah, 50 pack of i think 5X10 glue traps on amazon .. i threw a couple three down in the shed and just about every day i got 2 or 3 for ahwile until now i rarely see any evidence of one .. thinned um right out lol ..
I have heard good things abbot them too, but it also makes you think, poor rat! I mean, they are just stuck there, dying of thirst and hunger. That is a terrible death don't you think? I don't know , I don't win kI could use them for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom