Roofing Ideas for Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chonke, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Chonke

Chonke Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2016
    I started working on my coop now, and was wondering what type of roofing do you guys use for hot weather?

I was initially planning on using corrugated or ribbed steel roof panels. However, we have extreme summers, and im wondering if shingles are better to keep the coop a bit cooler. Or do you guys have any other ideas?

We hardly get rain, and no snow, and its a slant roof measuring 5.5'x13' (3/4 plywood) if that makes a difference

Thanks

2. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I live in nh so we don't get extremely hot but I put on a metal roof over the plywood and I haven't had any issues. The hens r mostly outside and only go into roost at night so it doesn't bother them.
    [​IMG]

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I have a metal roof as well. This is a walk-in coop (8'x12') - we placed Styrofoam insulation between the joists(?) to help with the heat that would "radiate" downward in the summer. Our summers vary in temps, but last summer was hot for us - high 90s and even a few days we saw 100 or so. I didn't have any problems.

I do have a window fan going in the summer as well to circulate more air (night and day).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  4. Chonke

Chonke Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2016
    Wow, that looks really nice. However, mine will mostly be confined in a run, so I wanted to make it as weather friendly as possible.

Depending on how much room I have I might add some insulation too. The thing is that my coop will be 6' at the tallest point vs 5' tall at the lowest angle. As for the weather, we have constant days of 115+ degrees in the peak of summer. Today was actually 94 F and next week will be 98* in the middle of march, so it gets really hot here lol

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Insulating a metal roof in those temps would be a must....insulating coop walls might help too.....or an open air type of coop.

Deep shade would be your coop and birds best friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by