Roofing Materials Suggestions for the most egg laying.

r-l-newell

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 14, 2009
Central Texas
I have decided to build a chicken coop that is 6 feet deep by 8 feet wide with a standard typed of peaked roof that starts at 5 feet 3 inches from the floor. I am trying to decide if I should put clear fiberglass panels like that are over greenhouses or if I should use steel roofing for the coop.

My main concern about the metal roofing is that the laying hens won't get enough light throughout the day so that they will lay a decent amount of eggs as it is too far for me to run electricity to and hadn't decide whether or not to put a window in it or not.

The light metal panels are $9 for a 26"x 8' piece compared to $20 for one 26" x 8" piece of the clear ones.

There will also be a 8 foot x 16 foot x 8 foot tall Run.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I can tell you what I have read, But I may be wrong....It is true light helps them with egg production, BUT, the light does not have to be intense sunlight. The hens prefer to have a darker more private area to lay eggs. Feed them a good layer mash and that will help. Going off what I have read. Hope this helps

Good luck on the coop first of all.
thumbsup.gif
I would use the metal. It will last longer and be cheaper. As far as the light, I would put a window in. Not only for light but also for ventilation. Be sure to put hardware cloth on the window to keep out birds and predators. I hope this helps.
big_smile.png

Forget the high-heat-causing transparent roofing. Get two windows, one for each side of the coop for good light and cross ventilation. Also, make a 1/4-inch hardware cloth screen that can be opened/closed for the glass windows.

I am trying to decide if I should put clear fiberglass panels like that are over greenhouses

And therein lies the problem. They will turn your coop into a greenhouse, if it gets ANY sunlight. You will be amazed how hot it can get how fast, even with low winter sun or just an hour or two of sunlight.

DON'T DO IT!
tongue.png

Metal or other opaque roof. (If you are in a cold-winter climate, realize that a sheet of metal or plastic will need to be insulated on the underside or you will have bad condesnation/humidity problems all winter).

You should not have to worry about light if you have adequate (like, REALLY adequate) ventilation and a coop painted white inside; but it is always pleasant for the birds to be able to look out, so, put in a window. Preferably openable, for more ventilation. Or, make a large picture-window-size screened vent opening on the N side of the coop that you can cover for winter by bolting on a sheet of that clear plastic roofing stuff you were talking about (it works just as well for siding as for roofing, and on the north side of the coop or hidden under a generous roof overhang it won't cause such overheating problems).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Where do you live?

I'd steer clear of the clear panels. While the sunlight through the roof would be nice, I think it's going to get pretty hot pretty quick. Egg laying capacity in winter (especially without supplemental light) is largely dependent on the breed.

IMO, all coops need at least one window. How would you like to be locked up in a completely dark room with a bunch of other people - ick...

If you live where it's cold, make sure the roof is framed well to hold snow load.

I live in Central Texas so it really gets hot here in the Summer. I have an extra window that slides up and down that we have from our old windows when we got new insulated ones for the house and I may put that in there. Otherwise I will take everyone's advise and not use the Clear Panels and will use the lite weight Metal Roofing Material for the roof. I must have misunderstood when someone told me that the chickens lay more eggs when they are exposed to more sunlight.

Thanks for everyones help with this as I have a six and a half year old son that is bound and determined we are going to have chickens and eggs to eat on a daily basis.

Quote:
Do you have a web site for those light metal panels?

They are at Lowe's and they are Lite Metal Panels and are like Corrugated Metal for the roofing materials. They are really thin but should work good for the roof of a chicken coop.

Back
Top Bottom