Roofing Materials??

My step-dad is a roofing contractor so my coop/minibarn has a professional 30 year roof on it. And it didnt cost me squat.
smile.png

Well, I have to redo my roof, its not quite long enough on both ends. I used plywood & roofing shingles. Now have to remove about half the shingles and am adding corrugated metal to each end.

Roll of felt paper $22.00, roll of shingles, if I remeber correctly was like $23.00, 1/4" sheet of plywood, not sure cost, cause I had it already but guessing about $14.00. Two sections of 8' long corrugated metal $8.98. All from H.D.

...JP

foil-faced osb, which I bought, covered in cedar shakes (and tar paper in between the layers). the shakes were from a friend, no cost. here's a pic...
18671_pict3351.jpg

I used corrugated metal panels, they are noisy to cut and can bend if the gauge is not thick enough. this will be kept in the shade so I'm not concerned with the sun/heat.

32640_random_pics_018.jpg

I did conventional as a house would be done. 6:12 pitch, 40 yr shingles (who wants to do it again ?)
wink.png

What I wanted to post here is that you should always keep ventilation at the top of the coop as a priority when designing a coop. No better time to catch it if you missed it then while planning roof. I did continuous soffit vents along both of the 18' soffits on my coop. They are simply a gap 1" wide the entire length with plastic screening above the soffit material, filling the 1' slot. That coupled with gable vents and a center turbine vent do the job so well that on really colder nights, I can shut up the coop's wondows really tight.
cool.png

I did roof's for a couple years, metal is the best if you want it to last longest... Here in FL, if you don't build a good roof, it doesn't last long. My A-framed coup's metal roof might last 100 years or how ever long the wood holds out. If you have a roofing company around, they will usally have left over pieces. They usally order a little over because a little too much is better than not enough, price differ's but around $1(us dollar) a foot. If you are not "handy", I would not avise metal but for the most part it's quick, easy, and incredibly durable. Screw drill, metal screws, metal snips, and some capping is pretty much all you need.

my tractors i used heavy duty plastic tarps i got 3 years out of them i would have gotten longer but i left them on in the winter ($6 each on clearance)
for my small coop i used scrapes of rolled rubber roofing (free)
for my coop/mini barn roof is 20'x20' i used rafters and sheeting from an old "porch awning thing from the nursing home" (free)
left over tar paper from my dads old business (free)
the 30year shingles i used were discontinued stock from the local lumber yard ($20 a sq so $100 i bought 5 sq used 4 so i have more for another small coop)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom