Rookie looking for some advice...

tparsons99

Chirping
12 Years
May 12, 2010
We are incubating 24 BCM's and are using the "dry" method. We are using a Brisnea Octogon 20 Eco with a auto turner.

We are into the final week ! It’s day 17…

I have not added any water since I initially added water at the beginning on day 1. Our humidity has been between 16% - 20% for the past 10 days, should I be concerned ??

Do I start lockdown at the beginning of day 18 or 19 ??

There are two water wells on this unit. Should I add something that will go into the water well and lay on the bottom of the incubator to increase the humidity further ? Maybe a terry cloth or something like it ??

When we start lockdown do I remove the rails and allow the eggs to lay on their sides ??

Thanks (in advance) !
Todd

We are incubating 24 BCM's and are using the "dry" method. We are using a Brisnea Octogon 20 Eco with a auto turner.

I have not added any water since I initially added water at the beginning on day 1. Our humidity has been between 16% - 20% for the past 10 days, should I be concerned ??

Do I start lockdown at the beginning of day 18 or 19 ??

There are two water wells on this unit. Should I add something that will go into the water well and lay on the bottom of the incubator to increase the humidity further ? Maybe a terry cloth or something like it ??

When we start lockdown do I remove the rails and allow the eggs to lay on their sides ??

Thanks (in advance) !
Todd
I'd be a little concerned with a humidity that low. I don't usually hatch with the dry method, instead keeping the humidity higher, at about 50 % for the first 18 days and 65-70% in the last three days.

I'd try to increase the humidity at least a little. Otherwise, your chicks might be "shrink wrapped" in their shells, or the air cells might be too large.

Are both water wells full right now? If not, fill up the second one and see if that can increase your humidity. If there's a place to, you could add a damp sponge or paper towel, too.

Start lockdown on the beginnning of day eighteen.

I've never used a Brinsea Octogon incubator, so I don't know if you should remove the rails.

Good luck with your hatch!

Last edited:
I have great luck with dry hatch, and I don't even know the percentage of moisture, but if I put my hand in the incubator, I feel moisture. I dry hatch till the first outer pip then toss in a wrung out paper towel. the eggs have moisture inside that they have to absorb before they can hatch. Dry hatch worked best for me with a smaller box.

my hatchlings come out moist even though I dry hatch.

There seems to be some confusion around here, even with the dry hatch method you still do not allow humidity to drop below 25%. You can read more about the dry incubation method here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

short version,
Day 1-18 you would like to add as little water as possible, while keeping it between 25-45%. I like to use cut up pieces of sponges so I can adjust it slowly.
Day 18-21 increase the humidity to 65%

Since your humidity has been a bit lower, make sure to candle before lockdown and look for movement. You might expect them to hatch a little bit early because of the lower humidity. With lower humidity, they will have evaporated quicker, and this can sometimes be fatal... but your final candle should be telling.

Another way to check whether they have evaporated enough or lost enough weight, is to weigh them at day 0 and throughout incubation. If you were to notice to rapid or too slow weight loss in the egg, then you could adjust your humidity around that. The weight loss goal is 13% of original egg weight.

Quote: day 18

Quote: Yes :)
the exception would be shipped eggs. If your eggs are shipped, it's best to let them sit upright throughout lockdown to help them get into the proper position for hatch.
Turning also stops for lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom