rookie with an incubator gettin ready for lockdown...when to lock down

chickaroo3

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 21, 2012
Alright I guess I could have timed it a little better...when exactly do I need to remove the turner and raise the humidity...Day 18 starts tuesday afternoon and wouldnt you figure I will be at work. I leave for work at 1130 AM and dont get back til around 1AM....I put the eggs in the incubator around 4 or 5 PM on Friday February 10th....Should I wait til I get home or should I do it before I leave for work? ....Decisions .....decisions....I only put 8 eggs in and all are doing great....i dont want to blow it now...help....I really want all 8 to make it
fl.gif

i wouldn't think it will matter those few hours either way. i would personally do it when you get off of work, but that is just me. what type of incubator and turner did you use? <----not that it matters i was just curious.

Alright I guess I could have timed it a little better...when exactly do I need to remove the turner and raise the humidity...Day 18 starts tuesday afternoon and wouldnt you figure I will be at work. I leave for work at 1130 AM and dont get back til around 1AM....I put the eggs in the incubator around 4 or 5 PM on Friday February 10th....Should I wait til I get home or should I do it before I leave for work? ....Decisions .....decisions....I only put 8 eggs in and all are doing great....i dont want to blow it now...help....I really want all 8 to make it
fl.gif
I asked the same question way back during my first hatch, a month ago. After you get home should be fine. Someone told me the Brinsea Auto incubator stops turning at end of day 18' start of day 19 exactly.

I am using the hovabator 1602N....still air not forced air. I picked up the egg turner at the last second from Tractor Supply...I believe it is a little giant...both have done an excellent job so far. I had a little scare in the begining with the temp being a little too high, but it balance right out...am very pleased ....all 8 eggs appear to be right on track as far as candling goes. I have 2 speckled sussex, 2 polish, 2 silkie, and 2 silkie X frizzle cochins (Sizzle???)....anyone interested in any of these...I might keep a speckled and or a sizzle, but am going to give the rest away....hopefully my hatch goes well...nervous about the whole drowning chick thing, but humidity has been right at 35 to 37 percent and I can see good air pockets in all the eggs....will bump humidity up on lock down.

I would go ahead and lock them down before you leave for work tuesday although I doubt it would matter if you waited till you got home that night. You mainly need the extra humidity while they're in the process of hatching. Once they pip, the membrane could dry up once it's exposed to air hence the extra humidity. I wouldn't stress too much either way. It's rare that a chick will hatch before day 19 unless your temps have been too high. Good luck!

Sorry that it took me so long to reply...family emergency...I did VERY well thanks to everyone here! 7 out of 8 eggs hatched! I ended up with 2 speckled sussex...sooo cute....2 polish (cone heads)....and the last 3 are up for grabs...I am unsure if I have 1 silkie and 2 frizzle cochin/ silkie mixes (sizzles)...or the other way around... ...I am absolutely in love with the sussex and the sizzles (i believe there are two)...

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom