Rooless flock

crooked stripe

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
N.E Ohio- Suffield
Can you folks give me some pointers on having a flock of chickens without a roo. I had a roo till yesterday. He was making so much noise he had to go. Now the hens seem lost. Instead of traveling in a group they scatter all over the place. This morning none of the hens would come out of the coop till I went out and coaxed them out. Now they stay within 20 of the coop. Please help with some info. John

my flock has never had a roo so I am not sure about the transition but eventually I think that one of your hens will emerge as a leader.

Good Luck,
Henry

same here i never have a roo with my hens.but your hens should get used to not having a roo.

My girls are roo less, got tired of an over active lover. The girls were begining to gang up on him! He would get busy and the other girls would run up to him and beat him on the head with their beaks- good thing I never gave them tazors!
lol.png

For a week or two they were a bit lost, but they are now very happy girls, DH refers to them as "The View" all in a group, debating over whats next etc.
I have a friend that has roos and if I ever wanted to breed, I could borrow a roo for 2 days. Personally if I have one go broody, I'd give her a couple of his eggs. Easier that way.
I did want a roo so I plan on keeping 1 bantam roo and 2 girls. Then we get the roo benis without shredded backs.

It may take them few days to get back on track if they are use to him being the leader it could take awhile to have one of the hens take over as leader.

I shed my flock of their roo about 2 weeks ago, he was beating up the babies. It took the girls a few days to start doing things on their own, but they do eventually.

Back
Top Bottom