Roos be'in mean to my girls....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Fat Daddy, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    So this was the day I culled all my extra roos... Man are they tasty !!! I was gonna bacon wrap them and do a rotisserie deal but... I decided deep fried, battered quail, mashed tators and dirty gravy with a half dozen yeast rolls, would be just fine. Thats some good stuff right there, I dont care who ya are. The Girls were so happy to get rid of the roos, they gave up there first egg today too. They will be 6 weeks old Monday. Last time I looked there were 5 girls in the dust bath all getting along grand. Two lone roos wonder'in where everybody went. Been a good day at Fat Daddy's house.... Bill

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well done! The deed and the cooking.[​IMG]

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Now you are making me want to go snatch some up to butcher, but I only have 2 extras left and I just placed them in the colony pen to save pace. I have roughly 30 chicks in the bator so in 8 weeks I will feast.[​IMG]

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:To be honest Robo, I had never ate coturnix before. I figured I better see if I liked them before hatching a honk'in truck load of'em, just cuz I like to have them around. Turns out they eat almost as good as bobs. These were very young too, bout 8 to 6 oz. Out of 22, 12 were roos, and rough'in up the hens pretty bad. Now order has been restored and I'm sittin here "fat on quail"... Bill

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by