roos or hens?

Hello I am new to the forum and I am new to chickens until 4 to 5 months ago, and BTW I am totally in LOVE with them. I have a question about a Hen I think I still have, lol She is a Red, a Production Red if I am correct according to research I've done online. Recently she has been increasingly crowing like a rooster she is around 4 or 5 months now, she at 3 months old did some crowing its a funny sounding crow, lol...Anyways I have heard that some hens will crow at times, so I didn't think much about it after I heard that, but now I wonder, here are a few pictures..You really can't see it in the pictures, but her/him taill has a very greenish tint to it. She has always acted like the leader since I brought them home as chicks so she IS the flock leader, just want any input on if she is a SHE or a HE! I am kind of bum that I have the feeling this is a rooster, I so wanted her to be a hen. He or she was named Peggy now I have to come up with a boy name that will stick I am so used to calling her/him Peggy.
Thank you in advance :)

Hello I am new to the forum and I am new to chickens until 4 to 5 months ago, and BTW I am totally in LOVE with them. I have a question about a Hen I think I still have, lol She is a Red, a Production Red if I am correct according to research I've done online. Recently she has been increasingly crowing like a rooster she is around 4 or 5 months now, she at 3 months old did some crowing its a funny sounding crow, lol...Anyways I have heard that some hens will crow at times, so I didn't think much about it after I heard that, but now I wonder, here are a few pictures..You really can't see it in the pictures, but her/him taill has a very greenish tint to it. She has always acted like the leader since I brought them home as chicks so she IS the flock leader, just want any input on if she is a SHE or a HE! I am kind of bum that I have the feeling this is a rooster, I so wanted her to be a hen. He or she was named Peggy now I have to come up with a boy name that will stick I am so used to calling her/him Peggy.
Thank you in advance :)
Hi AmySue74! Welcome to BYC! We're happy to have you here! :) I'm sorry to say, but Peggy is most definitely a boy.
hmm.png
The shiny, thin, pointed feathers that it has on its neck, shoulders, and back are rooster feathers - girls don't have them. He's very handsome, though!

Thank you, I figured as much,
sad.png
well guess its time to try out a few names, thinking either Teddy or Freddy. Poor fella was just getting used to Peggy tho..Thank you for the comment, hens or Roosters they are my Pride & Joy, I love them soooo much! So I have 3 hens and 4 roosters in my first flock, "sigh" lol I hope to get some more hens next time, planning on having those "sexed" this time. I want to get 2 Rhode Islands, and 4 Leghorns

Back
Top Bottom