Roos or Pullets? Please help me try to figure it out. Pics included.

nyice

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
LI, New York
So I have 12 chicks at a little over 6 weeks old and it's time try to figure out which is a pullet and which is a Roo. Is it too early to tell?

By next weekend the flock will be split. 6 staying here and 6 to my sister. If anyone would like to give me their input I would appreciate it.

One more question. When do roosters typically start crowing?

Omlet.jpg

#1 Cochin - Name: Omelet we think she may end up a splash cochin. Hoping she is a pullet. She is the chick in my avatar.
big_smile.png

100_4097.jpg

#2 Black Cochin

100_4102.jpg

#3 White Cochin

100_4113.jpg

#4 Partridge Cochin

100_4103.jpg

#5 Australorp 1

100_4098.jpg

#6 Australorp 2

100_4096.jpg

#7 She is buff with a little bit of coloring on the edge of her wings and around her neck. We were told that the yellow chicks we bought were buff orphingtons - Don't think she is....any suggestions?

100_4105.jpg

#8 Buff and Tan - Thought she was a orphington as well - but unsure now.

100_4107.jpg

# 9 Buff - Same as above two - Not sure on breed.

Black.jpg

#10 All black with bluish feet

BrownandBlack.jpg

#11 Black with brown head and bluish feet. Could he/she possibly be a EE. She had some in her flock. I think this one might be a roo as well.

WhiteChicen.jpg

#12 White and not sure what breed. I think this one is a roo.

Last edited:
I'm seeing all girls.... The Australorp #2 may be questionable with those waddles though??

Do you have a front view of that chicken?

Last edited:
If that is true, you have given me such good news. I noticed the waddle today on Australorp #2. I will try to get a front view picture tomorrow.

Would love to see a picture of your catahoula/rat terrier? Me and the hubby were just wondering what that mix would look like.

I think your white cochin is a roo. The top of the three "BO's" is the only one which I think is actually a BO. Next one is a red sex-link (def. pullet), and the next one is either a RIR or another red sex-link. Does she have a lot of white feathers in her as well, if so, red sex-link.

Next one looks like black sex-link pullet to me.

Next, cross pullet ???

Last one is a white leghorn roo? I think?

i think it's hard to say at 6 weeks what the gender is, I would give it 3 more weeks to be sure. I think roos typically start crowing (normally) around 11 weeks at the earliest, but some have had them crow as early as 2 weeks so who knows.

I think the "buffs" pics 7-9 look more like red and golden sex links

pic #10 looks like a black sex link, you can see a little red in the breast that makes me think that

and the very last picture of the white chick, looks pretty leggy to me, maybe a leghorn pullet

Back
Top Bottom