Roos question and convincing parents

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MonkeyZero, Sep 24, 2009.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hiya
    I just wanted an answer.
    what are the pros and cons of having a roo in a flock of 2 hens?
    Also, how do I convince my parents to get me one?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You can get one for FREE, they look after the hens, they are attractive.....

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I would not recommend having a roo for only two hens. Too much masculine attention for the girls...

4. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    pros:
    -they look after the hens
    -they are very beautiful (nature generally makes males more attractive, buggers!)
    -they fertilize the eggs (only a pro if you want to hatch eggs i suppose)

cons:
    -noisy (crowing) so dependant on your location to your coop/neighbors might be an issue
    -as chickenmaven said to much attention paid since so few hens, i have one boy who was only with one hen and he picked the top part of her head bald (hanging on). i have a few trios that are great (no hens missing feathers or anything). so depends on the birds i guess.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  5. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    what kind of roo would you want?
    i believe breed is needed to give a fair answer

6. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    I have silkies
    And so I will get a silkie roo. The most expensive one around here is a just $20.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Silkie roos are sweethearts! Yes, you can have one for two girls. He will love and protect them. bring them treats and dance for them. You will adore him!

8. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Now, how do I tell which roo will be nice?

9. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Also, what do I look for in them?
    I know the feed store has extra show silkies for $12.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Don't count on a chicken from the feedstore as being a show bird. Even if they call it so. You need to look at photos of better quality birds and read the standard to have a fair idea of what you are looking for.

In general, you want a nice crest, 5 toes per foot, black or slate skin, mulberry to black walnut comb, as much foot feathering as possible, silkie feathering throughout. Wings should be held close to the body, and fairly horizontal. As few hard feathers in the tails, wings and feet as possible. A broad breast, shorter back. Not too long a neck.

If you are not planning to show him, and he will be free-ranging with his hens and protecting them as a good rooster does, he needs good vision, which often means a smaller crest, or trimmed around his eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by