Roos singing with hens

scotter

Chirping
6 Years
May 11, 2013
S.W. Missouri
vimeo_logo.png

In another post I mentioned my Roosters singing along with the hens and it sounding a lot like honking geese. Well I was able to get a recording of it and thought I'd share it.

Thank you for posting this! Visitors often think that my chickens must be crazy because of all the noise they make during the morning and afternoon egg laying. My roosters all do this same thing, it's a crack up for sure...

The roosters are 8 months old and very experienced crowers . The like to chime in on the finale portion of the egg song. One of them is very good at timing it perfectly and hangs around the coop whenever a hen is laying an egg.

That is so much normal, That is usually the time when I run outside to see wich hen and where, what is so strange and awesome is the fact that sometimes before the hen sings, the rooster started, That is one thing I can not understand, it is almost as if he watched her the whole time, and the moment the egg drops, he starts to sing the eggsong

That is so much normal, That is usually the time when I run outside to see wich hen and where, what is so strange and awesome is the fact that sometimes before the hen sings, the rooster started, That is one thing I can not understand, it is almost as if he watched her the whole time, and the moment the egg drops, he starts to sing the eggsong

Definitely, and I think some roosters are more devoted to / in tune with the hens and just have to voice some encouragement or solidarity or something... it's so cute!

I've often heard "the egg song" used as a warning about predators. I stay with my sister at the moment, and her dog has killed a few of the chickens. Whenever they see him these days, they make that noise. The same thing happened when there was a fox in the yard, as well as a raccoon. Every time they do it and I see no egg, I end up finding a dead chicken, or signs of one that was taken.

So as much as we think it's cool to hear, sometimes it's not a good thing. And because of this, I always want to go out and check when they are free-ranging and make that noise.

I often wonder if the hens do it to put the flock on "red alert" after laying an egg, since the egg is still wet for a few minutes after laying, and predators can probably smell it. Or maybe they do it as a way to make noise and draw any possible predators away from their eggs. Or maybe it just deals with the pain of laying the egg. Who knows?

Either way, I am not concerned in the least when my roosters join in. They probably do it "just in case" the hen is doing it for the bad reasons. But it tells me they are also on the look out and that they are still here with me.

And that is good news for me!

First time I heard this I freaked out and ran out to the coop thinking something was killing all my new chickens. Rooster and one of the hens were SO loud, the rooster by far the loudest.

Few days later I was out working in the coop and 4-5 of 'em tuned up and let loose, it.was.hilarious!!! I joined in too...lol

Back
Top Bottom