Roo's Spurs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LauraSBale, Sep 25, 2009.

1. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure if this goes here.

but i have a roo, his friendly and good with the girls, but i noticed that his spurs are getting really long, are those like toe nails, can you trim them?

2. LauraSBale

Ok i found info,

for those who have gotten the spur off, do you put any antibiotic on them so they dont get infected?

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Very much like toenails, Laura. Best way to trim them is with a Dremmel power tool and a cutoff wheel. The spur should be cut about 3/8" from the leg. The action of the wheel will cauterize the cut and very little, if any, blood will leak. If you have bleeding, a little pressure will stop it in a few minutes. Get someone to hold the rooster as the vibration will make him struggle a little. They don`t feel pain the same way we do, so you aren`t hurting him and when you put him down afterward, he will act as if nothing happened. This is don` all the time and isn`t something to shy away from..........Pop

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Spur trimming can get emotional on here as you might imagine. In my opinion, it is a tool that can be used if necessary. It is not something I would automatically do but would not hesitate if it was needed. Personal choice.

This link has some videos and discussion on the topic.

Trimming Spurs Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=92697

5. LauraSBale

thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by