~Roost for 22~

Fresh Eggs

Songster
11 Years
Jan 1, 2009
Hello all,

I have 22 layers that are made up of the following; ee's, rir's, and bsl's. We have an 8 foot tall coop. I was wondering, can I attatch their roost up about 7 feet high????? I was thinking of getting 2 big rectangular poles of wood and screwing them up above their window to roost. Is that okay??? They LOVE to fly
roll.png
!!!!

Fresh Eggs

I have one roost that is at 7 feet high and they all fight to be the first up there.

I have 19 in the coop now and those "6" spots are always filled first.

I have another long roost just lower at 6 feet and another at 5 feet. The 5 juvies roost on the five foot roost.

The EE's will not have a problem getting to 6 feet.
the RIR''s probably won't get that high once they mature and put on some weight.
Not sure what a BSL is.
Another problem with a roost that high is they can develop bumble foot from jumping from a roost that high.

I would start at three feet and go to six feet if you need that much roost space. A stair case type of set up.

We had staggered roosts in our standard coop. They were 18", 4' and 7'. My EE would always use them as stairs, my Prod. Red would hope to the 4 foot then up. My black sexlink would fly up like a champ to the top. When they got a little fat from getting too many scaps (mom would sneak some after I'd give them yogurt) When they got fat we cut out snacks, but still it took the BSL a while to get to fly up in one shot. When we starting cutting wings, they all did the stairs.

Back
Top Bottom