Roost height

Wainbowmudd

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
Florida
I just wanted to get your expert advice on my roost situation. I’m in Florida and I have an open air coop design that is 12x6 with nest boxes on the back and door on the front so I figured the roost should go on the side wall to be out of the way. It’s just under 4 ft high. I also installed a lower bar on the opposite side to help them fly up if needed. Half of them fly up from the ground. My worry is the flying down part. They don’t use the other bar to get down, just straight to the ground. Is this height okay for their feet at that angle? I tried to make sure they have enough landing space but it seems to be at an odd angle for them to get down. Thoughts?? Changes or additions to make? I have 6 chickens.

6EC25D8E-D608-4E42-ADCB-FDE6B6DD3AF2.jpeg
D0044225-FE14-462D-8821-DE32CFAC7A98.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve always heard you want it higher than the nest boxes but we should have just matched the height of the boxes maybe.

You want it higher than anything else they can sit on.

If they can sit on top of the nestboxes, the roost should be higher than that.

In your photos, it looks like the chickens cannot sit on the top of the nestboxes, so the roost just needs to be higher than the lip at the front of the nestboxes.

If you're worried about them flying down from that height, you could move it down to match the top of the nestboxes.

I have never personally seen a chicken fly down to a lower perch before going to the floor, so I'm not sure how much good a lower perch would do. (If someone else has seen a chicken that comes down in steps, please say so. I know there are lots of chicken things that I have never seen!)

Last edited:
Maybe I’ll take the other one and put it farther away from the wall a bit underneath the main roost.

I have a barred rock, a buff Orpington, a red girl not sure what type, an Olive egger and two Easter eggers. They’re not full grown yet.

View attachment 2342939
My BOs are poor, awkward flyers at best, and my EE is much better at flying - at the age they are, none of them should have any issues, but something to think about for when they're a bit bigger. Harder landings from roosts can make them more likely to get bumblefoot.

Also, the one foot per chicken seems like a lot, but is a lot less as they grow - and it also gives them room to figure out pecking order arguments and work out who wants to sit next to who without too much drama. If everyone HAS to sleep right next to each other, you're more likely to end up with stressed chickens, especially if you decide to introduce new chicks one day.

If you're worried about them flying down from that height, you could move it down to match the top of the nestboxes.

I have never personally seen a chicken fly down to a lower perch before going to the floor, some I'm not sure how much good a lower perch would do. (If someone else has seen a chicken that comes down in steps, please say so. I know there are lots of chicken things that I have never seen!)
I've only seen them come down a step when there's a dispute over someone's spot and they want to pick another spot. My grandparents chickens were kept very free range. They had the option of sleeping in the barn or roosting in a tree. These chickens would fly 20ft up a tree to the lowest branch and hop their way to the spot they wanted. In the morning they'd fly down in one big swoop. I think this behavior is natural to chickens and just accommodated in coop designs...

I've only seen them come down a step when there's a dispute over someone's spot and they want to pick another spot. My grandparents chickens were kept very free range. They had the option of sleeping in the barn or roosting in a tree. These chickens would fly 20ft up a tree to the lowest branch and hop their way to the spot they wanted. In the morning they'd fly down in one big swoop. I think this behavior is natural to chickens and just accommodated in coop designs...
True. They just laugh at us trying to provide them with steps!

I haven't had issues myself with tall roosts, but I have heard of it occurring? But I don't think it's of immediate importance to get them lower.

No problem I saw Florida under your avatar. I was thinking along the lines of what if it's a sideways rainy windy night, only half the roost bar would have protection? Very cute coop design btw. I didn't realize the gingham was hiding nesting boxes nice idea!

My chickies get poop on the walls of their coop igh :sick so they'd probably hit those curtains/nesting boxes to some extent with roosts nearby.

I’m always going in there when it’s storming to see if the roost gets wet but it’s in a pretty good spot, there are trees a couple feet away from it so I think that helps. And I have a couple vine starting to give it some more coverage eventually but I would have done things different if we were doing it all over. I’d like the back and two side panels fully blocked off (I have them tarped off right now)

True. They just laugh at us trying to provide them with steps!

LOL my cornish x hen... The coop door is low to the ground and has a stoop so it's easy to get into. But in the evenings I'd go out to put the chickens up and there she is this huge white chicken standing there staring at that door... just waiting expectantly for me to come out and pick her up and stick her in the coop. One time I was up at my parents house past dark and DH had to lock the chickens up for me. I didn't warn him... To hear him tell it it was pitch dark out there because it carried on for about an hour, him trying to shoo her into the coop and her just standing there clucking like she's having a whole conversation and him refusing to give in to this stubborn lazy chicken.. 😅 I said all that to say this, there's a step there now.

My worry is the flying down part.
As you should be.

What I was going to suggest....or a tad lower.

Is roost 12" away from wall?
Also agree that having 12" of length per bird is good.
Yes, they sleep on less but need room to fly up(wingspan) and get settled.

I do feel like that is a little high - any way to maybe make another roost out further from the wall underneath it (for more of a ladder effect?

Also what breeds do you have? I feel like Leghorns might do better with the height than heavy, dual purpose birds.

Back
Top Bottom