roost question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JLS, Dec 28, 2010.

1. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I have a roost that goese across the top of my coop (appx 6' off the ground). The majority of my flock dont roost here but a 6 birds do. They "fly" down off the roost and land quite hard. Sometimes they land on the lower roosts or land on other objects/individuals. Should I be concerned about this? Will they hurt themselves? Should I remove the roost all together?

2. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I would say that six feet high is quite high, especially if you have heavier breeds. i'd lower the perch to no higher than 3 feet. You can go higher if you have another perch to be used as a "step up"

yes, high perches can cause legs problems because they are straining their joints every time they land.

3. caveman

caveman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Hawaii
    I would not remove the roosts because many chickens like to sleep as high off the ground as they can. It might be a better option if you can build a better way for them to get up and down from the roost. Try adding additional roosts 16"-20" apart, gradually climbing higher until you reach your 6' roost. If you don't have the space for that, maybe you can just add a ladder for the birds to get up and down from it without having to fly/fall all that way.

4. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with caveman. I wouldn't remove the high roosts you have, I'd add 'steps'.

My roosts (cedar branches) are hung from the rafters and are about 12 to 14 inches below the coop ceiling. I also have 'steps' of branches that serve as a ladder. Different birds prefer different heights.

In my coop it seems to be a pecking order kinda thing.........the alpha birds take the highest roosts and the youngest birds start out on the lowest branches and slowing work their way up over the months.

They seem to choose a favorite spot to roost and bicker/peck if someone is in "their" spot at roost time. They roost closer together during the colder months and the roo chooses his favorite hens that get to snuggle up close to him.

A clear example of class order. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by