Roost Questions

This is the roost I use. My chickens did't like them hanging from the ceiling and refused to use them. So they started sleeping in the nest boxes. They all love this one!!!

Attachments

• roost.jpg
    roost.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 21
I have two roosts made of 2x4s, one is higher than the other, so they don't need any fly space, they just hop to the lower one, and then hop to the ground. Most of my birds sleep on the high roost but a few sleep on the bottom--those lower in pecking order. There is one girl that is pretty high, but she always has slept in the same spot on the bottom since she was a baby so I guess it stuck as her position. I am building a new coop that will fit every bird on the top roost, since I know there are a few who'd like a spot but can't have one. Chickens prefer the highest spot they can (I caught one roosting on the heatlamp cord strung about five or six feet up) have so I recommend two high bars and one low one that they can use to jump down onto, and from there to the ground.

I have two roosts made of 2x4s, one is higher than the other, so they don't need any fly space, they just hop to the lower one, and then hop to the ground. Most of my birds sleep on the high roost but a few sleep on the bottom--those lower in pecking order. There is one girl that is pretty high, but she always has slept in the same spot on the bottom since she was a baby so I guess it stuck as her position. I am building a new coop that will fit every bird on the top roost, since I know there are a few who'd like a spot but can't have one. Chickens prefer the highest spot they can (I caught one roosting on the heatlamp cord strung about five or six feet up) have so I recommend two high bars and one low one that they can use to jump down onto, and from there to the ground.

You will be happy that that all the high roosting spots are available to all. For me having all the roosting above head and all the floor space is that those times we are having some serious rain I can leave them locked up. Those that don't want to be bothered can park it above and the others have plenty room to complain and tell me "Let us out!"

Roost only need to be as high to be above the nests by about a foot.
I like roosts at about my waist/chest height so it's easy to get birds off roost at night for exams.
Really high roosts in a coop with a small floor area can cause 'crashes',
they need room to fly/jump down and land safely.

Here's some tips on heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/
I appreciate your view point which if you read that out loud you will notice you picked a height you liked and your reasons why. My point is that height can be what works for you. Chickens are trainable ! Roosting is for sleeping/rest that is only a portion of the day. Why would you let that dominate over a roomy coop. There is a lot out there about raising chickens and coops,etc. If you love your flock you will be in tune to what their needs are and they will be in tune to what you want. That is the bottom line to a happy, harmonious, healthy and entertaining relationship!!

I appreciate your view point which if you read that out loud you will notice you picked a height you liked and your reasons why.
Yep, height works for both me and the birds.
Not sure how you think I let that "dominate over a roomy coop"??

Going to start by saying some people like a ladder roost system and others like having all roosts at same height. Both can work, but I don't know if one is "optimal" - probably depends on each individual flock and set up.

Most of my chickens scoff at the idea that they need help down and simply jump off the top.

I would argue in favor of having a second bar (same height, different height, length doesn't really matter... well, aim for 12" per bird if possible, but anything beyond that is gravy) because if there are pecking order issues, that at least gives the pecked on bird somewhere they can safely roost.

I also ended up with a bird that's "special" that uses the lower roost by herself. She's not the bottom ranked bird but physically cannot make it onto the top roost.
I don't understand all I have read about the roost pecking order. I have two Wyandottes that try to rule the roost. But my RR and my mutt just ignore them, but they bully my Easter Egger completely. Would not allow her on the roost anywhere, so she started sleeping in a laying boxes.
A few days ago I took down the same height roosts and replaced it with three in a stairstep.
The evil twins are on the bottom the two older gals on the middle and shy sweet Miss Penny on the top.
I am confident the twins run her up there, but wsw surprised to see if.

A few days ago I took down the same height roosts and replaced it with three in a stairstep.
The evil twins are on the bottom the two older gals on the middle and shy sweet Miss Penny on the top.
I am confident the twins run her up there, but wsw surprised to see if.

If the dominant birds prefer the bottom then it would make sense that they'd chase the bottom bird elsewhere, in this case, the top roost. Usually it would be the opposite but guess your dominant pair prefer that particular spot.

Back
Top Bottom