Roost type

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
I have read countless threads on roost material...everyone seems to lean towards using 2x4's. While in Lowe's a while back I found some 2" round "garden" poles that are used to stake vegetables. They are 8 feet long and exactly 2" in diameter. Will these be okay versus a 2x4? I hope so since I came home with several. :)

I have read countless threads on roost material...everyone seems to lean towards using 2x4's. While in Lowe's a while back I found some 2" round "garden" poles that are used to stake vegetables. They are 8 feet long and exactly 2" in diameter. Will these be okay versus a 2x4? I hope so since I came home with several. :)
What are they made from?
One of the important things for perches is that they have some bit of texture to them for grip.
If money is tight, branches are free. :D

Last edited:
I think they'd be too narrow for adult large-fowl birds but might work for bantams.

I use branches/saplings that are at least as thick as my wrist and not much thicker than my husband's wrist (I know, that's horribly imprecise). There's no great philosophical reason behind it. Scrub oak and pine saplings are weeds on my property but I'd have to buy 2x4's.

What are they made from?
One of the important things for perches is that they some bit of texture to them for grip.
If money is tight, branches are free. :D
They are wooden...kinda rough texture. I thought I read somewhere that a 2" round perch was suppose to be the perfect size? I have also seen on here that folks use those larger fence posts that are about 4 inches around. And a ton of folks recommend the flat side of a 2x4?? Who knew that getting started raising chickens was going to be so difficult...LOL

I think they'd be too narrow for adult large-fowl birds but might work for bantams.

I use branches/saplings that are at least as thick as my wrist and not much thicker than my husband's wrist (I know, that's horribly imprecise). There's no great philosophical reason behind it. Scrub oak and pine saplings are weeds on my property but I'd have to buy 2x4's.

I happen to work for a builder so getting the scrap 2x4's will be easy to do....probably should have gotten those to start with and save me some $$$ LOL

Chickens feet do not lock in places like other birds do.. they rest on their keel bone with their feet flat under their breast.

I wouldn't go less than 4" around, personally.

2X4 are a good choice.

They are wooden...kinda rough texture. I thought I read somewhere that a 2" round perch was suppose to be the perfect size? I have also seen on here that folks use those larger fence posts that are about 4 inches around. And a ton of folks recommend the flat side of a 2x4?? Who knew that getting started raising chickens was going to be so difficult...LOL

Free roosts are the best roosts.

Back
Top Bottom