Rooster’s comb turning blue

BeginnerChickener

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
The comb of my 2 year old rooster has started to turn blue and I am worried. I first noticed it last summer, however it passed but now it’s happening again. Usually it’s the tips of the comb but sometimes the whole back end.

I haven’t noticed anything too unusual, he is still the same kind and active roo he was before. But one thing I have noticed is that he has started sleeping on the floor of the coop, never has he done that before.

He is a hy-line brown rooster, and I know that the life-expectency of hy-line hens isn’t very high. Could he be getting old?

In the picture you can see what I’m talking about!

Attachments

• C27D8384-95F8-4542-90E3-FBEFDABC40DC.jpeg
    C27D8384-95F8-4542-90E3-FBEFDABC40DC.jpeg
    630.8 KB · Views: 49
Any unusual behavior like changing where he sleeps should be investigated.
Have you looked at his toes/feet (bottom of feet too) for any signs of infection/bumblefoot?
Any lice/mites?
Have you introduced any new birds recently?

Blue tips on the comb could be heat related, lack of oxygen or some other issue.

Any unusual behavior like changing where he sleeps should be investigated.
Have you looked at his toes/feet (bottom of feet too) for any signs of infection/bumblefoot?
Any lice/mites?
Have you introduced any new birds recently?

Blue tips on the comb could be heat related, lack of oxygen or some other issue.
I have noticed that sometimes he has difficulty walking but I haven’t see any obvious redness or bumblefoot but he does have pretty long spurs. I also did add 3 pullets to the flock about a month ago. His feathers and skin seem healthy, but I will definitely investigate more.

Following. My boy is 6m old and he gets blue tips sometimes. He has let the girls strip his neck and part of his chest bare down the front, but the temp in the coop is right around 10c at night, so not freezing by any means.

The lighting in the pic doesn't quite show how dark the tips are. I haven't found mites, though I've been watching for them. We had to move and they're in a temporary coop behind a friend's coop, they have no way to interact with their chickens, but it's Mouse city. I'm up to 37 since I started setting traps a week and a half ago. 🤢 so, watching for all the things.

Attachments

• 20211023_071511.jpg
    20211023_071511.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom