Rooster acting sick

chicken12344

Chirping
Nov 28, 2020
I have a 4 or 5 year old buff orpington rooster and the last few days he has been acting off. He wont leave the coop, is acting lazy hasn’t crowed in a few days, and won’t go up on the roost at night like he used to. His droppings seem normal and I saw him eating and drinking yesterday. The only abnormal thing I have seen so far wrong with him is he has some white on his comb and it is a little less red then usual but I don’t know if it means anything. I will try to get a picture tomorrow. It’s been getting much cooler out here so maybe that’s why?
I don’t want to see him go he is a very good rooster.
What can I do?

Thank you for your time.

Can you please post photos of your rooster, his comb, poop, feet and legs?

Hard to know what's going on with him.
Start with the basics - look him over for lice/mites, check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight.

Is he your only rooster?
Any changes in feed or additions to the flock?
Is he molting?

Molting could be the reason of his malaise and acting off. Some birds don’t show a huge loss of feathers during molting except for losing tail feathers. At his age, he could just be showing his age as well. Make sure he is eating a good balanced chicken feed, and supplement with a bit of egg or tuna daily.

He started to crow again today.
I couldn’t get a picture of his feet or legs but he seems to walk around alright.
I attached a picture of his comb and droppings.
One thing I have noticed is that he is flicking his head around quite a bit when ever he moves it.

Attachments

• C1DF7E46-43DE-4009-87F5-E65EBC58D8F8.jpeg
    C1DF7E46-43DE-4009-87F5-E65EBC58D8F8.jpeg
    698.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 5684A589-B337-4449-9557-121E6058D1EB.jpeg
    5684A589-B337-4449-9557-121E6058D1EB.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 11
Start with the basics - look him over for lice/mites, check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight.
Is he molting?
You have to try to gather him up and examine him.
Check the crop, look for lice/mites and signs of molting.
Watch to see that he's eating/drinking well.
He started to crow again today.
I couldn’t get a picture of his feet or legs but he seems to walk around alright.
I attached a picture of his comb and droppings.
One thing I have noticed is that he is flicking his head around quite a bit when ever he moves it.

You have to try to gather him up and examine him.
Check the crop, look for lice/mites and signs of molting.
Watch to see that he's eating/drinking well.
I gave him a look over today.
He’s kind of a fighter but his feet look normal.
I didn’t see any type of lice/mice but it was hard to get a look.
I saw him eating today and was crowing again this morning.
I am pretty sure he is molting but hasn’t grown the feathers back yet.

Molting could be the reason of his malaise and acting off. Some birds don’t show a huge loss of feathers during molting except for losing tail feathers. At his age, he could just be showing his age as well. Make sure he is eating a good balanced chicken feed, and supplement with a bit of egg or tuna daily.
tuna?? really ?? sorry I am new this chicken thing, Is tuna in a can be ok

Back
Top Bottom