Rooster acting weird...

Every morning when I come to open the chicken coop my rooster hops out and marches around me. I believe this is what they do to attract mates, he also follows me around and pecks me, hard. He also tries to jump on me, is there any way to get him to stop?
You write he only does this in the morning (?) It rather sounds like he sees you as one of his hens. This isn't necessarily bad. There is lots of room to work with a cockerel who behaves in such a manner. The pecking shouldn't be a problem as long as he's on the ground. Full aggressive intent would be shown by a full scale attack. You'll definitely know that should it happen.
Proper footwear and leg covering is important here. Usually, as they get older, the pecking stops; the trying to herd you by walking around you may not stop for a long time.
Essentially from what you describe he's attention seeking in part. That may also stop once he is more certain of his position in the flock. You don't mention how many or how old if any, hens you have.
You can ignore him, but if you do, you shouldn't show any aggression towards him. Don't try to move him away and walk around him. This won't stop him behaving in this manner but if done right it may ensure that his behaviour doesn't deteriorate. He is after all trying to be friendly by the sounds of it. He's just not quite sure how he should go about it.
Two of the roosters here have done this to me when they were maturing. The eldest, Cillin,is now the leader of his tribe and very rarely tries to herd me now. If i've been cleaning his wattles and comb, or handling him while he's on the ground, when I've finished whatever I was doing he will do a brief herding movement around me and then go about his business.
His son Treacle still tries to herd me in the mornings when I open the coop. He no longer pecks at my feet, or a hand if I put it at his head height but I do have to watch out for him getting under my feet until we've got to the place where he and the rest have breakfast.
I don't mind any of this; other people seem to see it as threatening in some way.
I would take notice of @Folly's place comment about cockerels and children and even other people. Imo one shouldn't let children anywhere near a cockerel if the keeper doesn't have extensive experience with chickens in general. Cockerels and roosters are not unpredictable if you know what to look for in their behaviour.
I think the most important point is to understand what is okay with hens is probably not going to be okay with roosters and cockerels. There is a whole further area of knowledge to be learn't if one is going to keep males.
I won't go on further except to suggest that you might gain some insight into why he does what he does and what signs to look for by reading this article. It's quite a long article and there is a lot of information in it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Ok! Sorry to misinform. I won't advise doing that anymore.
It’s all good, I thought the same thing when I first started! It’s what you hear a lot.... we were under the same impression but learned gradually through too many rooster issues lol. The best method for us has been to act big and bad and not tolerate any BS... I’ll feed, shelter and care for you but we don’t have to be friends. I just need you to do a job but not get a big head about it lol 😂

He is about 7 months now, but he is usually very nice. Maybe in the morning he is just upset or hungry. He has been doing it for the past 2 weeks or maybe a month.
He only acts this way in the morning.
My cockerel was sometimes a problem in the morning too. He would charge at my feet, head down, hackles raised. Later in the day, he's fine.

With a few exceptions that took a while to figure out.

My orange Tigers t-shirt upset him. Twice, when I wore it, he came after me. I had to swat his butt and tell him to BACK OFF! I made him back off and walk away before I left the run. Conclusion: he likes a different baseball team He doesn't like the color orange. I don't wear that shirt in the run/coop.

I had the hood of my sweatshirt pulled up and pulled it back as I opened the door to the run. Same thing: he charged, I made him back off before I left. I think the movement of pulling back the hood looked threatening. Now I make sure to pull the hood back when I'm a few yards away.

I decided to change up the morning routine a little. I go down to the coop about half an hour before the sun comes over the hill. I uncover and fill the feeder, empty and fill the waterer, and then open the pop door. Usually he is crowing as I walk by the coop, so I sing my "good morning chickens" song as I go to the shed for fresh feed. I am out of the run before he comes out the door.

If for any reason I am in there when he comes down the ramp, I make sure that he knows I won't put up with his morning crankiness. I try not to push his buttons, but if I do, then too bad, bucko, deal with it. I AM the boss of you.

I figured out if I squat down and sort of wave my arms around, he will back off and get confused, maybe a little scared.

He's maturing, and doesn't respect your space, and will escalate his attacks unless you can redirect his behaviors, which works sometimes, but not always.
If you have small children or visitors, he can't be around them at all, until this is resolved.
There are good articles about managing roosters on this site: @Beekissed, @BantyChooks , and @Shadrach 's come to mind. Also @centrarchid . Different points of view, different flock management styles, all useful.
When starting with chickens, it's often best to have only hens that first year, to gain experience, and have mature hens to help manage any future cockerels. He thinks he's hot stuff, and probably thinks that you are a flock member. YOU AREN'T!!! You are the giant who brings food, and it's not smart to attack the giant bringing food.
Mary
I have a 10-year-old cousin who comes to visit sometimes, but she generally just holds him and pets him, even in the morning Nugget doesn't attack her. (Maybe he just doesn't like me) 😂

Back
Top Bottom