Rooster afraid of hens

pmartin865

Hatching
Oct 26, 2018
I just got 4 Rhode Island Reds and I bought a rooster, and Austerlop and one of the hens is very abusive to the rooster to the point that he runs past her each time they are close to each other. Last night I noticed that he was the only one sleeping on the floor and the others were on the perch together. I have put the head hen in a cage by herself for 3 days but she is back at the top of the order and always attacks the rooster. He is 5 months old but is heads above the hens, but he just won't take control. What should I do, if anything, to get things in order.

Older established hens and new young cockerels don't mix. You'll need to wait until he is older for a harmonious flock. The dominant hen is the top of the flock order. Under her will be the dominant rooster. She is making sure he knows his place.

I think they are about 2 years old.
Okay. Then as @Gray Farms wrote, your 5 month old cockerel, regardless of his size advantage, has to earn his stripes with the older ladies. He will never come in and just take over. He needs time. The head hen will continue to put him in his place until he earns her respect. Then things will change.
As long as he is not being bullied to the point of blood loss, let them sort things out themselves.

I just got 4 Rhode Island Reds and I bought a rooster, and Austerlop and one of the hens is very abusive to the rooster to the point that he runs past her each time they are close to each other. Last night I noticed that he was the only one sleeping on the floor and the others were on the perch together. I have put the head hen in a cage by herself for 3 days but she is back at the top of the order and always attacks the rooster. He is 5 months old but is heads above the hens, but he just won't take control. What should I do, if anything, to get things in order.
How did you integrate the new birds?
Just toss them in or separated by wire for a couple weeks?

You may have both pecking order and cockerel 'schooling' going on here.
If cockerel has a place to get away and is not being not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly and bloodied, let them work it out.

Back
Top Bottom