Rooster and Hen fighting

RayrayB

Songster
Jun 2, 2019
Hey guys,
I have a silkie hen who recently started "refusing" our rooster's advances and now is fighting with him. They were raised together and they've never had issues before-she was his favorite and is the head hen.
Is this a little "lover's quarrel", or will I never get fertile eggs from her again?:(

A hens eggs remain fertle for 3 weeks after a single mating.
Not sure why this hen is fighting with the rooster. Maybe he is a jerk and she is standing up for herself...but I would watch this situation. So she is not hurt.
It's actually the other way around, he's very sweet and she's a bit of a bossy britches. I'll keep an eye on them, but she actually ended up chasing him off and pulling out some of his feathers each time he'd try to come at her. Guess she's just not in the mood🤣.

In one pen I have a young Polish roo about 4to 5 months old and 2 silkie girls about 10months old. My grandson (adult) told me he saw the black silkie fighting with the roo. I'm pretty sure that silkie is a female....she is shaped the same as the other one. Do you think because of their young age they could be fighting? The Polish roo is missing some feathers from his head so that I can see his eyes now, but I see no blood of injuries other than missing feathers.

Back
Top Bottom