Rooster and Hens...?

shasimon96

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 16, 2012
We have one RIR rooster and three Isa Brown hens. The poor girls are missing feathers on their backs and shoulders...do we need more hens in that flock or is there a solution (that doesn't involve getting rid of Red, he was helpful when a possum attacked a few weeks ago, and we're rather fond of him) ?

You rather need more girls or some saddles for your girls. The best solution is to probablies get more, maybes another 3? so he has 6. If you cant get anymore then just get some saddles.

You rather need more girls or some saddles for your girls. The best solution is to probablies get more, maybes another 3? so he has 6. If you cant get anymore then just get some saddles.
One of them does have a saddle, but she doesn't look much better, her shoulders are still missing the feathers
hmm.png

Some of my hens got killed a few month agao so I have 2 cockerels with 9, well actually 8 because one is sitting on eggs. My girls are in great condition so I think he is just a rough mater and don't worry I plan to get some more if the chicks don't hatch.

Okay, yeah we're getting five eggs a day from the girls, so they can't be doing terrible. They just look like they're doing terrible lol would y'all suggest hens or chicks if we got more?

I think it tends to bother people more than it does hens. My former roo was adored by all, and his hen's looked terrible, but they were happy, stuck to him like glue and laid eggs. He did have big spurs, and I thought about taking those off, but I like to free range, and his job was protection and he was good about it. Eventually something got him.

My new roo, seems to cause less damage, but I don't like him as well...... but the hens like him too.

If they are laying eggs, and not bleeding, those are both good signs that they are doing fine.

MrsK

Okay, yeah we're getting five eggs a day from the girls, so they can't be doing terrible. They just look like they're doing terrible lol would y'all suggest hens or chicks if we got more?
If your hens were broody I would let them hatch out chicks and raise them but if not it is probablies easier to buy more chickens.

I think it tends to bother people more than it does hens. My former roo was adored by all, and his hen's looked terrible, but they were happy, stuck to him like glue and laid eggs. He did have big spurs, and I thought about taking those off, but I like to free range, and his job was protection and he was good about it. Eventually something got him.

My new roo, seems to cause less damage, but I don't like him as well...... but the hens like him too.

If they are laying eggs, and not bleeding, those are both good signs that they are doing fine.

MrsK
X2
I agree with Mrs. K. I think it bothers humans a lot more than it bothers hens. I have one Columbian Wyandotte hen that looks AWFUL. She is basically plucked across her back. And yet she doesnt' act stressed, doesn't run from the roosters, and lays well. And it isn't that we have too many roosters--we have just three roosters for 50 hens right now. She's either a favorite, or has brittle feathers.

Back
Top Bottom