Rooster attack

I grew up around chickens but we raised them to eat as well as eggs so I don't remember having this problem since chicks weren't a priority which made roosters redundant but yeah, I've never personally done the deed. My job was dipping and plucking... 😑🥴 However, I knew when I took on chickens that if I was successful in getting chicks I would end up with more roosters so I accepted this was part of keeping chickens. I have rehomed two already but not only is that not a long term solution, sooner or later I had planned on fried chicken...😅 Probably later... much later... butchering is messy. All that to say that I've seen and heard of others with calmer roosters so I will keep trying till I get a good fit! In the meantime I really appreciate the suggestions, advice, and experience I get here, thanks to everyone!

I got chased by an aggressive rooster when I was about eight and that's why I have no desire to go there. Also, I would be a little more tolerant if they were free ranging but they can't, I would lose them to predators. On one hand, he might be more able to protect the flock... if he didn't get eaten by his apparent lack of fear of pretty much everything that actually could eat him... at any rate with an extra rooster there is just no incentive to put up with him. Also, I do try to treat animals with kindness always but I just don't give way to mean whether it's a dog, cat, or in this case chicken... now bulls on the other hand I give a lot of respect and a wide berth... LOL

I too have been chased and attacked by a rooster as a child. Then when we got the first flock here, that boy also attacked and chased me. I definitely understand, managing them is easier when free range, and most of my flocks I do free range. Ultimately, you're the one feeding them, so this is your call, and you do what you feel most comfortable with:hugs

I have used a technique of pin them by the neck to the ground for a bit. Similar to how they dominate their hens. It seems to help. Just a suggestion though

That is a thought. He has not bothered me since we had the 'come to Jesus' moment. He is not quite a year old. But that also means he's not quite a year old and how is he gonna act when he *is* fully mature? I haven't done anything yet as I haven't had time to deal with him but I'm not very hopeful. I don't like needless killing though which is why I came here and I have gotten a some good thoughtful input which is very helpful. Thanks for the suggestion and I will take it into consideration!

I could be wrong, but I don't think he's going to change much at his one-year birthday. In my experience, cockerels get a little (or a lot!) nuts at 4 to 6 months when their hormones kick in. If an older rooster or some mature hens are around to kick some sense, respect and manners into them, by the time they are a year old they can be pretty good citizens. And if that's the case, they can remain so for life. I got my present rooster from a neighbor who'd had him in with about 15 other cockerels, and he's been a perfect gentleman to his hens and to humans ever since. He's at least three years old now and is hands down the best rooster we've ever had. I hope he lives forever! 😆 So good luck to you.

I do have some hens that are older and they were placed in the pen when they were a bit younger than I would have liked and I have seen the older hens chasing both the roosters when they got too rough which is why I was wanting a second opinion because I've heard that can sort of calm them down. But *this* rooster is a little weird. When I got them one of them, and I think it was him, came at me at a couple days old which was funny at the time and I was willing to wait to see if it was just chick shenanigans and it still might have been. Ok, I get it, it's a baby but even at one year old he still has the same attitude and lack of fear (except for the hens). I'm guessing that WITHOUT having been put in his place by the hens he'd be much worse. The *other* rooster is shy which I would expect, I don't handle them much. I've had five roosters now and *this* one is the only one to be this way. *shrugs* I dunno.

I've had some success with aggressive roosters, but only if they are on the lower scale. Can't change really aggressive ones. For the occasional attack ones I pick them up and carry them around every time they attack. It's very humiliating for them and I've had rooster learn their lesson and eventually stop attacking humans, but I repeat, only when they are not super aggressive initially.

I've been wondering because I've not had time to address the rooster issue but at the same time he's not tried again so I'm a little confused... I'm not good at culling a chicken 'in cold blood' but if he tries again I will not have a problem ending the problem. But again I haven't had time to mess with them at all. I don't have a problem making them move when I change out their water or feed. If I walk through, they give way to me. So was he just checking to see where the boundaries are or, as I suspect, will he get bolder the older he gets?

Back
Top Bottom