Rooster attack

Birdofire1

Chirping
Jun 22, 2023
So I have been keeping an eye on one of my roosters cuz he's been weird since he was young and sure enough today he tried to come after me for the first time. I don't tolerate that and we had a meeting of the minds but in my (admittedly limited) experience that doesn't very well stick with roosters. Is it a general consensus that once they start they will do it again? I have to get rid of one anyway and he was my choice to rehome but if he's mean I will just put an end to it right now.

I went out to do that and he hid in the back where I can't reach them unless I crawl around... there's always tomorrow! He's always been an odd one. Shows almost no fear even when he should.

"Fixing" aggressive males doesn't work. You could try and manage him, but there are no guarantees. Since you were already considering culling him, I don't know if you'd like to put up with him
I agree with this very much! With you %100. So many people say that if you do this or this, such as hold him and stand up tall with him, treat him with kindness and don't try to stop him unless.....
I always treat an animal with kindness, but they are coming after me or flat our attacking me - I'm going to make it known to him that he is being bad and this will not be taken lightly!! I tried doing that with my first black australorp rooster - Rudy - but I was new to chickens and wanted to keep him - but found out that when I would put him back down, he would turn around and attack me. It doesn't work.
I don't put up with it and just cull them and turn them into chicken noodle soup or chicken n biscuits - there is never a good reason to let a rooster get to the way that you might get hurt. Just cull him and have a dinner. You can always get a new rooster.
Meyer Hatchery just started making it so that you can get a '' Homestead Helper '' that is a free rooster chick. So you wouldn't even have to pay for it.

I agree with this very much! With you %100. So many people say that if you do this or this, such as hold him and stand up tall with him, treat him with kindness and don't try to stop him unless.....
I always treat an animal with kindness, but they are coming after me or flat our attacking me - I'm going to make it known to him that he is being bad and this will not be taken lightly!! I tried doing that with my first black australorp rooster - Rudy - but I was new to chickens and wanted to keep him - but found out that when I would put him back down, he would turn around and attack me. It doesn't work.
I don't put up with it and just cull them and turn them into chicken noodle soup or chicken n biscuits - there is never a good reason to let a rooster get to the way that you might get hurt. Just cull him and have a dinner. You can always get a new rooster.
Meyer Hatchery just started making it so that you can get a '' Homestead Helper '' that is a free rooster chick. So you wouldn't even have to pay for it.

Personally, I have kept aggressive males. I respect their space and their needs as chickens, and try to read their body language as best as I can. I realise that this is not something everyone is keen on doing however

Personally, I have kept aggressive males. I respect their space and their needs as chickens, and try to read their body language as best as I can. I realise that this is not something everyone is keen on doing however
I got chased by an aggressive rooster when I was about eight and that's why I have no desire to go there. Also, I would be a little more tolerant if they were free ranging but they can't, I would lose them to predators. On one hand, he might be more able to protect the flock... if he didn't get eaten by his apparent lack of fear of pretty much everything that actually could eat him... at any rate with an extra rooster there is just no incentive to put up with him. Also, I do try to treat animals with kindness always but I just don't give way to mean whether it's a dog, cat, or in this case chicken... now bulls on the other hand I give a lot of respect and a wide berth... LOL

Rather than wait till daytime, consider getting him off the roost in the dark. That way you don't have to chase him or worry about him coming after you. If you don't want to actually "do the deed" in the dark, you could maybe put him in a dog crate till morning.
That is an excellant suggestion. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom