Rooster attack

I don't want to give someone a rooster that will hurt someone. I'm not exactly wanting to kill something but unfortunately unless someone who has the means and experience to handle a rooster volunteers to take him I don't have a lot of options.

Just got attacked by our 7- month old rooster. I was checking for eggs, when he came around the back of the coop, flew up and hit my right leg with his claws. I swung at him with a rake, fell back, and he ran at me, tried it again. What the hell do we do? I’m ready to end him.
Mean roosters aren't worth it and are replaceable. Have some chicken soup.

Just got attacked by our 7- month old rooster. I was checking for eggs, when he came around the back of the coop, flew up and hit my right leg with his claws. I swung at him with a rake, fell back, and he ran at me, tried it again. What the hell do we do? I’m ready to end him.

Aggression can't be trained out of a bird. Possibly grown out, if it is a cockerel, but it is very rare. If you want to deal with him, try and manage it. If you don't, cull him (whether that is a soft cull with full disclosure, or a hard cull, it's up to you)

Note that when @fluffycrow first mentioned soft culling, they included the words "with full disclosure." This means that if you re-home this bird you have a moral obligation to reveal his aggressive tendencies. It would be a terrible thing if you did not do so and he then went on to do a serious injury - which is indeed possible - to another person, especially to a child.

Note that when @fluffycrow first mentioned soft culling, they included the words "with full disclosure." This means that if you re-home this bird you have a moral obligation to reveal his aggressive tendencies. It would be a terrible thing if you did not do so and he then went on to do a serious injury - which is indeed possible - to another person, especially to a child.
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom