Rooster attack

My RIR roo (also a class hatching project which my child is very attached to) is also being a mean and nasty beast. He attacks my other 2 younger roos and even the Silkie hen he's been with since the project stays away from him as much as possible. He also went after my 5 year old while he was out free-ranging.
I understand the concept of grabbing him and hanging onto him but catching him without being ripped up is another thing entirely. I tend to just keep him at bay with a long stick and a bucket of water. At this point we've decided to build him a bachelor pad and revoke his free-ranging rights for the time being.

injuring the roo is certainly not ok. intimidating or culling are the only acceptable ways. I had a 5 yr. old roo that tried and we chased him or smacked his feathered side and he learned but a recent 7 month old NH red pecked us and jumped the dog daily so rather than be mad at an animal that wasn't getting it we culled him.

Maureen&chickens :

My RIR roo (also a class hatching project which my child is very attached to) is also being a mean and nasty beast. He attacks my other 2 younger roos and even the Silkie hen he's been with since the project stays away from him as much as possible. He also went after my 5 year old while he was out free-ranging.
I understand the concept of grabbing him and hanging onto him but catching him without being ripped up is another thing entirely. I tend to just keep him at bay with a long stick and a bucket of water. At this point we've decided to build him a bachelor pad and revoke his free-ranging rights for the time being.

I wonder if squirting him with a hose would work?​

I have 2 young (4 months) roosters right now, both bought as pullets cause I didn't want any roosters. One is an EE and the other a RIR. I noticed today that the EE has just started being interested in my hens. All except my older Jersey Black Giant hen, she fights back.
wink.png

Anyway, the last time I had a rooster that thought he was the boss, I put him in with my pea hen to live...she taught him who was the boss. I will do the same with either or both of these if they get ornery.

barnie.gif
I have a mean bantam rooster, I have to watch all the time. He spurred me and I spent a month on antibiotics, 2 weeks with a very swollen arm...sorry it was my fault had hen in hand(she didn't have a problem with it , he did tho). I now just smack my hands and stomp my feet at him and he usually runs away. If he ever attacks me again tho, he will go, it really hurt!!!!! He is too good of a roo to get rid of right now, very protective of his girls.

We took te advice of friends and people here on BYC. We "hand raised" our little flock (1 roo & 5 hens) and have had no problems even collecting eggs every morning and evening. We walk right in their run and pet them, or pick them up with no resistance or problems at all. As soon as the chickens see you in the back yard they come running to you. Only strangers, the cat, or the dog has anything to worry about. It seems chickens can easily be domesticated if you spend time with them just like any animal. By the way our roo doesn't crow yet and he's almost a year old now. He's very docile with everyone though. We enjoy that instead of the attack roos we're hearing about for sure. I think in that case you really need to get in there and spend time with the flock and interact with them. Pick each one up tucked under your arm so thay can't flap their wings and pet each one. Try that and do it every day a little longer each day. They should get used to the behavior your showing them and learn that it's ok. Then after they know you aren't there as a threat they should be happy to see you every day. Good luck.

I think each rooster's aggression component is part nature & part nurture. Some are born more feisty than others, some grow more aggressive due to experiences that leave them more wary & fearful. Some roosters can have their attitudes improved through the use of certain behavior modification practices, but for others, nothing will ever work.

I figure that since there is only room for a very few roos in my yard I will only tolerate the most mannerly of them. Any roo that attacks me or my children (especially my children!) is immediately dismissed. A nice long soak in simmering broth does wonders to prevent a rooster from attacking any more.

A good kick may not be very friendly but it CAN work. As a kid we had an enormous rooster who would attack us every time we went out. My Dad put him in a pen and he would rush the wire every time we walked by. Well by that time we hated that stupid rooster and every time he tried to attack us through the wire we'd boot him about 3 feet back into the pen.

He became the nicest rooster on the farm! He would eat from our hands and was very tame.

Just saying....

I've been attacked by a rooster when I was much younger, and also seen a friend's baby (2yo) who had been attacked by a rooster. She had spur marks less than an inch from her eye, and also on top of her head! It was awful. I would have reacted the same way, and while I like to give everything a chance if possible, I would have been sorely tempted to NOT give the rooster another chance. What if he spurred a child in the eye? It all depends on the circumstances.

Quote:
I could not bear to read through this entire thread. If this rooster is still alive, please rehome him ASAP to someone who knows how to care for roosters. I don't want to bash another BYC member, but I cannot stand to hear of animals being abused.

Roosters as a general rule do not belong around small children. This is not a mean rooster, this is an animal protecting his flock. It is perfectly natural.

Back
Top Bottom