rooster attacked chick

Pics
There’s many different ways those are just 3. Most people just clip the points off with dog nail clippers. I keep them really short but for you just removing the sharp point would be helpful.

I’m doubtful unfortunately.
that’s okay, deep inside i am doubtful as well but i’m trying to have hope for my little one, i hope that it all turns out well.
I stand by my recommendation to kill the rooster that kicked him though. That bird at only a few months is not a threat to a full grown bird and he knew it. I’m the last person to cull a rooster for behavior but kicking hens and kicking chicks/young birds will cause them to lose their head the fastest.
And i understand why but personally i don’t have the heart to kill him, i raised him and it would just hurt even more to lose him and possibly lose garbanzo. I know it’s probably the smart thing to do but i’m trying by best to make it all work out by building them separate areas, i have plenty of space for my 5 roosters and i’m planning on building a roomy space for each where their happiness can be fulfilled. it’s unfortunate that they’re all roosters but i can’t control their gender either. I hate that he did this and i hate that he’s the cause to garbanzos pain/injury but i really don’t have the heart to put him down. He was willing to end his life but it’s all nature, and again i’m upset he did that but i apologize im not willing to end my pets life, even if it’s for the “best”, soon after his kids grow they’ll be same size and it’ll be the same risk. - i say this in the nicest way possible 🤍

And i understand why but personally i don’t have the heart to kill him, i raised him and it would just hurt even more to lose him and possibly lose garbanzo. I know it’s probably the smart thing to do but i’m trying by best to make it all work out by building them separate areas, i have plenty of space for my 5 roosters and i’m planning on building a roomy space for each where their happiness can be fulfilled. it’s unfortunate that they’re all roosters but i can’t control their gender either. I hate that he did this and i hate that he’s the cause to garbanzos pain/injury but i really don’t have the heart to put him down. He was willing to end his life but it’s all nature, and again i’m upset he did that but i apologize im not willing to end my pets life, even if it’s for the “best”, soon after his kids grow they’ll be same size and it’ll be the same risk. - i say this in the nicest way possible 🤍

I was in a somewhat similar boat and I just wanted to say a couple of things...
First, that you don't actually have to kill your rooster? If he has to go, someone else could do it, or you could put a notice up with a disclosure about his aggression.

Two, it's good you have a plan and the ability to keep this male birds separate and let them live out their lives maybe. But you will need to keep an eye on them and make sure one bird isn't ruining the rest of their lives. Like - if for the sake of one nasty rooster you can't let one, then two then.... more birds you care about have long, slow deaths, right? Some animals have a worse "nature" than others.

That was the deal with my cockerel - I raised him by hand for months and gave him every opportunity and tried everything... but he was injuring my other birds.

that’s okay, deep inside i am doubtful as well but i’m trying to have hope for my little one, i hope that it all turns out well.

You don’t have to kill your rooster. Just keep him separate from young cockerels. Though I wouldn’t breed him if I were you, as temperament can be genetic.

You don’t have to kill your rooster. Just keep him separate from young cockerels. Though I wouldn’t breed him if I were you, as temperament can be genetic.
right now the adult rooster & hen roam around while the little ones are scratching around in a caged in area, when they go out for maybe an hour or two i lock up the adults in advance and watch the little ones as well due to predators and stuff. I actually didn’t know these eggs belonged to him, I had another rooster named beans who was a lovely cuddly roo, i loved him but one day i came home and all i found was his feathers scattered in piles. i incubated the eggs hoping they were his to keep on his memory you know? that’s why they have bean type of names lol, garbanzo, lentil, pea, but turns out they weren’t his but it’s okay, i love them either ways. I really didn’t expect nuggets (now william- the roo that attacked the chick) to be aggressive, to humans and his hen he’s a sweetheart and loves to cuddle, he likes to sit on your lap and likes to be swaddled like a burrito, it was really unfortunate that he attacked the chick but i’m trying my best to keep the chicks safe, sadly i’ll have to separate those soon as well. I also don’t plan on having anymore chicks, i can’t risk them being boys.

Last edited:
I was reading up on head/neck trauma and it mentioned tempetures? some said to keep the bird cool & that warm temperatures can cause more damage? but other websites said otherwise, what are y’all’s opinions?

I’ve decided that i’m gonna give him 3-4 weeks, it’s a really hurtful decision but i think that if he doesn’t start improving soon then he’s probably never going to be able to. I wish that he could he could live a happy life but a chicken without the ability to use his legs doesn’t seem happy, they should be able to peck at the ground and scratch the dirt. It’s a really tough decision but i can’t see him suffering forever, i can’t always wake up 7 times at night to make sure he’s okay, i love him but i won’t always be there for him, i cant have him depending on me for his needs. If he can’t do things on his own then it’s best to put him down to end his suffering.

Back
Top Bottom