Rooster attacked ducks eye!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmgal101, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Farmgal101

Farmgal101 Songster

May 29, 2017
    My duck lucky was acting really weird this morning and I noticed as soon as I went in his pen one of his eyes looked awful not sure what to do any help would be appriciated...he is being separated from the rooster that got him..he is currently in the house while we fix the problem..he seems physically fine and is moving around fine.

Attached Files:

2. silkie1472

silkie1472 Songster

Dec 28, 2016
    This isn’t good at all. Is there even an eye left?

I would try to clean out around the eye and see if it could be saved (hoping it is still there).

It looks like you have a Cayuga drake, and drakes and roosters usually show aggression and shouldn’t really be kept together.

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I don't know if the eye will be ok, but ducks can do ok with just one eye! I agree with cleaning it, perhaps just a compress with warm water to loosen everything up and then flush it with water (duck's head under a running faucet might do it). You just want to get any debris out of there that you can. After you clean it up maybe you will be able to see better what's going on and can post a new photo.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry about your Duck.
    I don't know much about them so hopefully @casportpony @Eggcessive @Miss Lydia will chime in.

General care for an eye wound would be to flush with sterile saline, then apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or use Vetericyn eye gel.

See that he's eating/drinking well.

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Also keep him somewhere safe while he heals! If he can't see well he may be extra stressed and frightened.

Since ducks dunk their heads a lot and mix their food and water he will need lots of water changes to keep it clean so that when he dunks his head he's not getting gunk in his eye.

Honestly, if it weren't for it being the eye, the wound does not look too bad. I think he will heal up well. Watch for signs of infection over the next week or so as well.

6. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Scotts Hill, TN
    X 2.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would clean the eye with saline and a warm compress. Apply some antibiotic ointment to the eye twice a day. I don’ t know much about ducks, but with a peck in a chicken eye, it swells, and sometimes it can be hard to tell for a few if the eye is injured or punctured. Keep it clean, apply the ointment (terramycin, vetropolycin, neosporin, etc) and hope for the best. If the rooster or the ducks are a problem, one needs to be separated.

8. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
  9. Kessel23

Kessel23 Crossing the Road

Feb 6, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I had a drake get spurred in the eye by a rooster last year
    [​IMG]
    He healed up well and can still see out of it. Eyeballs are pretty good at healing, good luck with yours, try to keep it clean.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia ~Delight yourself in the Lord~

Vetercyn spray would be good here after initial cleaning. Poor thing that looks very painful.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: