Rooster attacked ducks eye!

Pics

Farmgal101

Crowing
May 29, 2017
My duck lucky was acting really weird this morning and I noticed as soon as I went in his pen one of his eyes looked awful not sure what to do any help would be appriciated...he is being separated from the rooster that got him..he is currently in the house while we fix the problem..he seems physically fine and is moving around fine.

Attachments

• 15504208924641215775263.jpg
    15504208924641215775263.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 118
My duck lucky was acting really weird this morning and I noticed as soon as I went in his pen one of his eyes looked awful not sure what to do any help would be appriciated...he is being separated from the rooster that got him..he is currently in the house while we fix the problem..he seems physically fine and is moving around fine.
I'm sorry about your Duck.
I don't know much about them so hopefully @casportpony @Eggcessive @Miss Lydia will chime in.

General care for an eye wound would be to flush with sterile saline, then apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or use Vetericyn eye gel.

See that he's eating/drinking well.

I would clean the eye with saline and a warm compress. Apply some antibiotic ointment to the eye twice a day. I don’ t know much about ducks, but with a peck in a chicken eye, it swells, and sometimes it can be hard to tell for a few if the eye is injured or punctured. Keep it clean, apply the ointment (terramycin, vetropolycin, neosporin, etc) and hope for the best. If the rooster or the ducks are a problem, one needs to be separated.

I don't know if the eye will be ok, but ducks can do ok with just one eye! I agree with cleaning it, perhaps just a compress with warm water to loosen everything up and then flush it with water (duck's head under a running faucet might do it). You just want to get any debris out of there that you can. After you clean it up maybe you will be able to see better what's going on and can post a new photo.

Also keep him somewhere safe while he heals! If he can't see well he may be extra stressed and frightened.

Since ducks dunk their heads a lot and mix their food and water he will need lots of water changes to keep it clean so that when he dunks his head he's not getting gunk in his eye.

Honestly, if it weren't for it being the eye, the wound does not look too bad. I think he will heal up well. Watch for signs of infection over the next week or so as well.

I'm sorry about your Duck.
I don't know much about them so hopefully @casportpony @Eggcessive @Miss Lydia will chime in.

General care for an eye wound would be to flush with sterile saline, then apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or use Vetericyn eye gel.

See that he's eating/drinking well.
X 2.

I would expect the vision to be poor right now with the vaseline and eye drops and blood. Maybe once things clear up a bit he will be able to see some, but if the eyeball itself is damaged, I wouldn't expect him to see much. :hugs

I'm glad he's eating and drinking and feeling well overall! This is a good sign.

Those darn ducks will stick their heads through any gap they can, I swear. My drake is notorious for this as well, even after I think I've reinforced the fencing! Once he managed to get his head through during integration see no touch, well he managed to touch, and almost kill a duck on the other side :barnie

Back
Top Bottom