Rooster attacked hen

chickykids

Songster
May 25, 2021
We have 3 original hens that are 2 years old and introduced new chickens this spring. The new chickens are 2 hens and 3 roosters (did not intend to keep extra roosters)The new ones are 12 weeks old. We just rehomed the two extra roosters and kept the least dominant one that lets us hold him and seemed to be the friendliest. It has been 3 days since the rehoming and the sole rooster starter crowing the next day. I am guessing this is a big deal for them. However, last night, the rooster attacked one of the original hens. He has been trying to mate with them during the day but they are not into it. He damaged her comb and the skin around her eye. It was 11:30 so a strange time. (It was loud and we heard it from inside our house) Her eye seems ok but the skin around it is swollen and that and her comb were bleeding last night. We put the rooster in our quarentine cage overnight to calm him down. They are free rangeing today and there are more advances from the rooster but none like last night. He seems to really like this one hen. Is this normal? Is this rooster going to be aggressive? What should I be doing? Thanks!

He’s 12 weeks so he’s going through his teenager stage. I would watch him to see if he gets better. If he presents anymore aggressive behavior I’d cull him. He will end up really hurting your birds. He might have been quiet and “docile” because of the more dominant cockerels that were present. The additional cockerels being gone will show his true colors.

I ordered 2 cockerels & 13 pullets 4 mo ago and integrated them into my flock (divided run) then released my cockerels with my 8 hens(at 12 wks old) I waited 6 wks before releasing my pullets but only ended up keeping my dominant cockerel with my flock .He has more sense! lol

Back
Top Bottom