Rooster attacked our toddler

I have a question now. I always thought along that same pattern that a roo was just protecting its family but I have also read in many books that it is important to cull for good nature.

In Storeys it specifically states that good temperament is bred into birds and not just a given. Any thoughts?

I'm so glad your little boy wasn't seriously hurt.
Chicken owners like you make me proud-you had a serious problem and found a good solution for all involved.
thumbsup.gif

Be extra vigilant because it can happen again. Count your child fortunate the roo missed the eye by inches. I have a year old niece who walks among our huge brahma roos. You must breed and select for temperament otherwise they will be out of control and risk endangering your family.

Rustyswoman, I think there is definitely a genetic component to rooster agression. Most gamefowl roosters (standard) although extremely agressive towards one another are not human agressive. They have been stringently culled for human agression because of the danger involved.

My kids are grown so I don't have a daily issue between my rooster and children. We have noticed our rooster who is very quiet (Jersey Giant) seems to be more alert/protective if children come over to visit. Since the behavior could turn into something unwanted the house rule is lock up the birds if company w/kids are coming over. I put a lock on the door as I have had friends(during a BBQ) take a mind to going into my coop to chase and hold birds. Since I can't control others and I don't want to worry they get locked up and we're easier while others visit.

Sometimes Roosters are just like people - They can come from good families and still be Creeps!!! LOL It is always best to keep an eye on any animal. They have their own agenda and sometimes we just don't pick up on it. I grew up around a bunch of hogs and chickens and a few cows. Most were okay but you had some you really had to keep an eye on. Our Landlord had on old red boar that would try to get me everytime I went close to the hog pen. YOu just have to watch them - If a normally docile rooster starts doing the little strut dance around you like he does his hens- Look out!! My uncle got spurred by a leghorn rooster when he was young- It caught him right behind his ear. The doctor said he was very lucky not to have damaged him really bad. Personally If I get one that tries to fight me- He goes to chicken heaven.

Quote:
I wouldn't trust any at this point. I have a cochin rooster and he is Horrible! I can't go outside if they are out without a stick to fight him off of me and my 2 year old son. I am pretty much at the end of my rope with him and I will probably be trying to give him away soon (if I can just catch him!). I had an americauna rooster that was great though until he was killed by my neighbor's dog.

Back
Top Bottom