Rooster attacked, severe neck injury (graphic image)

Your dose of 57mg/lb is correct, I usually give it twice a day (every 12 hours). It's usually very well tolerated. To make it easier to give I mix the dose with some softened coconut oil and then freeze until firm. I put it on parchment paper or wax paper. Then I just take out one at dose time and break into pieces and give that way, they usually go down easily. That way you know he got the whole dose.

If you have access to the meloxicam, I would give it a go. Aspirin wise, I use the low dose adult chewable kind, 81mg, ground up into something I know will get eaten (for my flock, watermelon is the slam dunk, followed by scrambled eggs) and it goes right on down. Not sure if it eases up the side effects when compared with the regular white aspirin, but I've always got some for just this purpose.

This kind of wound is going to do all manner of gross things while it heals, because it has to dispose of the flesh that died, and then regenerate to bring everything back together again. Once he starts to scab over on the neck wound, leave the scabs in place unless you have reason to believe there's a pocket of infection developing. As you've noted in other posts, keep smelling the wound site.

I'm glad to hear he seems to have escaped with his digestive abilities intact, and that you've got some antibiotics on board.

Thanks for the responses. He is still gaining strength. A fair amount of greenish/blue discharge starts to accumulate in his wound after a few hours. I've been staying on top of cleaning it out, but sometimes it will go 12 hours without a cleaning. I will attach a picture of what it looks like after 12 hours.

I'm noticed a fair amount of feathers stuck in his wound. I'm doing my best at removing them one by one, but it is definitely a gradual process.

He seems to be enjoying the coconut oil for his antibiotic. I put it along side his pellets, and he usually picks out all the coconut oil like a kid eating marshmallows out of cereal.

Hoping an infection like this will clear up, because he is otherwise healthy. He has eyesight in both eyes now, and his bad eye is open much more often. I'm not sure how much his hearing has changed.

I assume chickens can't regrow earlobes, he's definitely down one.

Thanks again for all the advice, it seems to be helping a lot. Just got to get rid of this infection!

Poor thing, sound like you’re doing the best you can for him. When my rooster was attacked by another rooster, that I have since rehomed, he had gashes on his head and the back of his neck and didn’t want to move to eat for the first couple days. He finally ate when I cooked him a scrambled egg, definitely perked him up. Best of luck to you!!

Hey y'all, wondering how soon I can stick this boy back outside. It's quite cold out there, but he's gained a bit of energy and is growing restless inside. He still hasn't grown back the skin entirely, but the wound is clearly on the mend.

He seems to be scratching at it a bit more, and he tends to wipe off a lot of the antibacterial cream I apply.

I no longer worry for his life, as it seems he is fully recovered other than half his face is missing.

He's definitely itching to get back outside. I live in connecticut, we just got a foot of snow. It's going to be 10 degrees F tonight, but that's the coldest night of the week. I know I can't put him with his girls yet, but maybe he could be outside soon ?

Thanks y'all

Yes, I agree with aart that you can do it gradually in a dog crate in the coop or run. But temps can be a problem. Heat lamp is an option, but can be dangerous. Heat plates are another option. But letting him out in the daytime inside the coop would be a good start. Glad that he is healing.

Back
Top Bottom