Rooster attacking despite some advices followed

Pics
Some cockerels and Roos are just born more aggressive than others. I never handle my cockerels. I think it allows them a little human fear. If he’s rude to your family , you are better off culling or rehoming. We had two cockerels this spring and did the cone method. It was quick and calm. We all were emotional and sad, but I expressed to my younger generation why is it okay for us to eat the store chicken and not our own?
good advice. he's never been rude to the family yet but ive never taken that chance. so hes only used to my face. he does get "Riled up" / Ancy if he sees other faces though. But as do our hens also. Can the legal confinement be part of the issue would you say? should i give it time for him to adjust more to an outdoor area once built if no one else takes him? I would really love to have fertile eggs from our own batch if possible. As said. forgive me if I'm slow at coming to terms or learning about this. its all a a entirely new experience for me

Thats def an option. I have put up an ad on a local facebook page to anyone who wants him either to keep for breeding or for meat with full behaviour disclosure (i wouldn't mind if there wasn't children around to keep him). Its been a day with no response yet on FB so I'm guessing ill need to try advertise elsewhere before making the final cull decision but ill give it a couple of days.

I do 100% agree with you. One way or another its going to come with the territory of keeping them! I guess I'm just too soft. I always had them as pets rather than for food / eggs. Apart of the family. If I can find someone local to help guide me during the culling process in person then I would probably be a lot more comfortable doing it myself. Last option is to pay for Euthanize at a Vet that will do it. Although that costs but also wastes the meat since it cannot be eaten after that.
I find that pinning a dominant rooster does more damage then it does help. With roosters, it's usually necessary to watch any roos you have when you enter their area. Even a nice one can turn when they feel threatened. What works for me is standing my ground, towering over him, showing I'm more dominant, without threatening him. I also bought spur covers for mine.

Back
Top Bottom