Rooster attacking hen?

Shaunassy

Chirping
Apr 2, 2016
Fl
Hello,
My 1yr 3month old lavender amaracauna rooster that I raised from a baby has suddenly started attacking one of my 13 hens. She is a perfectly healthy brahma hen that he has been with since he was little.
One day after work we discover her bleeding from the back of her neck in their 100×200 fenced in area. We thought somethinf tried to get her and failed so we put her inside another 12x12 area that has a coop within the main coops run so she would be able to heal but still be near the flock so they wouldnt forget her. After a few weeks she healed so we let her out with the other. Right away the rooster came over, she squated and he mated her. Then he just kept chasing her and each time she would squat he would just stand there pecking the same spot she had her injury before. Her wound was completely healed and the featherd had grown back enough to look normal so idk why he was doing it? He was pecking her so hard she began to bleed again so I again seperated her to let her heal. It was a small little wound so it again healed within a few weeks. Again I let her out and he did the same thing except he chased her till the point she was to tired to run and as she squatted down being submissive to him he started pecking at her head, eyes and even jumped in the air trying to spur her. I quickly shooed him away and put her back in the pen with one of my docile hens to keep her company but idk what to do or whats going on. Why is he all the sudden attacking just her?

It isn't common but I had a roo problem like that this past couple of months, all of a sudden out of no where w/ an adult roo who had been w/ his hens for his entire life. (a little over 2 years) I invited him to supper, no problems since then.

I'm not too sure, but I'd give him some time away from the flock for a couple of weeks. Hopefully, others will be able to offer some advice.

Might want to separate the cockbird until the hen heals, let her reunite with the flock. Then try reintroducing the male...if he doesn't behave nicely.
Rooster Rehab might be in order:
Rooster Rehab.jpg

I think Ill do like CTken said and seperate him for a few weeks and see if that helps. He is such a beautiful boy and so good with the others. Id hate to have to get rid of him.this is him. The white chicken is the one he attacked.
20170511_171800.jpg
20170511_171545.jpg
20170513_071902.jpg
20170513_071847.jpg

Might want to separate the cockbird until the hen heals, let her reunite with the flock. Then try reintroducing the male...if he doesn't behave nicely.
Rooster Rehab might be in order:
View attachment 553248

I agree completely with Aart. It sounds like he has a screw loose. Is she the only white bird? If so, he could be prejudiced. My roo happens to not be fond of barred hens. I have a bunch of shipped barred/cuckoo birds to add to the flock, so if he doesn't play nicely, he'll be doing rehab.

I agree completely with Aart. It sounds like he has a screw loose. Is she the only white bird? If so, he could be prejudiced. My roo happens to not be fond of barred hens. I have a bunch of shipped barred/cuckoo birds to add to the flock, so if he doesn't play nicely, he'll be doing rehab.

we had another white hen but she got killed by a raccoon. I have 2 separate pens with coops besides the main one. One is inside the main Coop run and he can hear and see them. the other coop is somewhere else on the property where he can hear them but not see them. Which one should i put him in?

Back
Top Bottom