Rooster Attacking Me

I read another post a few months ago saying when her rooster got aggressive she picked him up and held him upside down just till he settled down. You could try this, otherwise, roast him

Sometimes a rooster is too valuable to just crock pot. (I have yet to find this rooster, but in theory, I am sure they are out there...) I have Black Copper Marans and I killed a year old rooster that was getting aggressive, but it was really more because his feathering was not ideal and his fertilization rate was low. I have one of his sons who I would hesitate to kill because he is the only one I have left with near decent conformation. If the roo is attacking you he really is just doing his job and I have never found intimidation to be effective on a animal that has a brain the size of a peanut and operates primarily on instinct.

I have a rooster who used to attack not only me but everyone who went into our chicken area, I sorted him out one day, very simply. I was wearing my gumboots, he came at me, first I pushed him away with my boot, he came back, next I positioned my boot under him and flicked him a short distance, the boy came back again next time I flicked him harder, this sent on 4 times getting a bit harder each time, in the end my boot won. I did not kick him just flicked him away under his chest, now he is a lovely rooster, no more problems at all.

I had the same problem w/ 2 beautiful americauna 1 year old roosters that I hatched and took care of. I'm diabetic and bruise easily and don't heal quickly and those **** roosters would go right for my shins. I tried chicken psychology. Be the bigger meaner more dominant rooster. I'd give'em a slight kick to the breasts and those **** roosters would come back for more. Tough ********! when they killed my favorite cream silkie it was on. I didn't want to kill them because they were show quality beautiful so I ended up selling them. Now from winters hatchlings I think I have 6 more roosters. With these when they misbehave I grab'em by their legs and hold them upside down for about 30 seconds just to show them whose da BOSS! SMITTY

We have a bantam rooster who attacks some family members and occasionally attacks me, but when I turn on him he runs. He protects the hens when they are free to roam, and he will wait for the hens to enter the coop before he goes in for the night.

It's time to try a crockpot. Sam needs to be introduced to some noodles.

Then see how Dean behaves. If he follows in Sam's footprints try him with dumplings.
I was seriously reading all the suggestions, and when I got to this one, I cracked up.
lau.gif

My first rooster was an Americauna. He was beautiful. One day he attacked a lady I was standing in the yard talking to. Then he attacked me. I gave him a couple of swift kicks and he ran off. Our grandson thought he would sneak up on the chickens and scare them. He found out that hens run, roosters do not!! The rooster attacked him. He chased our grandson all through the orchard. I kept trying to tell our grandson to run to me, but it was hard to yell because I was laughing so hard. I gave him (the rooster) away to a neighbor who had a couple of hens. The neighbors DOGS got into his pen and killed them all!!!

The second rooster was a Barred Plymouth Rock. Also a beauty. When he got full grown his spurs looked like they were three inches long! He threatened me a couple of times and I was getting ready to go on vacation and didn't want him attacking my grand-daughter who was going to take care of the chickens for me, so He was dispatched!!

The third try at roosters was a Buff Orpington. He got so belligerent that I didn't go outside without a broom or small rake in hand. My grandchildren quit coming over to see us. I didn't have the heart to DISPATCH him, so I gave him and a son of his away. I sure miss hearing their crowing. He was a good watchdog over his flock. And when it was time for all hens to go to bed he encouraged them to get in the pen one way or the other. If one hen was missing he would come back out to look around for her. I miss him!!!

It takes a strong arm or two to grab a large rooster to either hold him down or hold him upside down by the feet!! So I never tried those methods. I sure wish there was some way to cope with roosters.

we have had both aggressive roosters and calm placid in your lap ones. the angry aggressive ones are quickly disposed of and the nice ones kept, its true that the aggressive ones breed aggressive offspring. sometimes they get better once they realise that your not after their girls and they've had a swift kick up the backside... we have a Huge Sussex boy who is placid as, he wanders around the property, keeps his girls in check and is in your face, in the car ( if the window/ doors left open) in your lap. never fights with the other roosters or attacks anyone so it would seem that its a random thing, good luck should you get another rooster tho

When I was on the farm every dang animal we had was mean and mean chickens were the least of our worries.
My family obviously hated us as children because they didn't even try to protect us, only gave us 10 year olds words of wisdom after the fact such as "I told you take a hotshot with you when you go to the south 40 because that new bull will get you" (after standing in the middle of the pond for 2 hours until the new bull lost interest and went away)..."We told you don't get out of the truck at Uncle Bob's until he comes out and chains that dog up"...(after being treed by his mean birddog) "I told you don't turn your back on that goat, see what happens?" (after being gored in the arse by a billy goat)... "Boys, I told you not to pet those hogs because they will bite you" (after nearly becoming a meal to some uncut boars)... "I told you not to put a bridle on that donkey and try to ride him like a horse" (after nearly getting my hand bit off by a little donkey)
Their answer for everything was "Take a stick with you."

When I was on the farm every dang animal we had was mean and mean chickens were the least of our worries.
My family obviously hated us as children because they didn't even try to protect us, only gave us 10 year olds words of wisdom after the fact such as "I told you take a hotshot with you when you go to the south 40 because that new bull will get you" (after standing in the middle of the pond for 2 hours until the new bull lost interest and went away)..."We told you don't get out of the truck at Uncle Bob's until he comes out and chains that dog up"...(after being treed by his mean birddog) "I told you don't turn your back on that goat, see what happens?" (after being gored in the arse by a billy goat)... "Boys, I told you not to pet those hogs because they will bite you" (after nearly becoming a meal to some uncut boars)... "I told you not to put a bridle on that donkey and try to ride him like a horse" (after nearly getting my hand bit off by a little donkey)
Their answer for everything was "Take a stick with you."

You should turn this into a children's book with caricature drawn illustrations! It's hilarious and real and completely different from the very protected way kids live now.

And yes to the stick! I carry a stick everywhere. It wards off the rooster, extends my arm herding sheep or chickens, balances me climbing fences, knocks off the old nest plugging up the eavestrough, checks the creek is not deeper than my boots and gives a good poke to the dog that is sniffing, with the intent to eat, some unknown disgusting thing in the woods.

Back
Top Bottom