Rooster attacking other flock

Charlie D

Chirping
May 30, 2021
Chambersburg Pa
My rooster is attacking my other flock of hens, Roos, and bantams. The other flock is 11 weeks old and he’s been chasing them down and attacking them for the last three weeks. I feel if I wouldn’t intervene he’d kill them. I would understand him attacking Roos but he attacks bantams that are less than 1lb. I’m scared to let my 6wk old hens out from another flock because I don’t trust him. Is this normal or should I get rid of him?

I’ve had them for 11 weeks in a separate coop and run. I’ve been letting them free range for the last 3 or 4 weeks and he constantly attacks all of them. None of the 11 week olds are mature yet either.
You might need to continue keeping them separate, can they see each other in the separate runs?

Yes
You might need to continue keeping them separate, can they see each other in the separate runs?
He’s been able to see them since they were 4 weeks old in the other run. He’s never shown aggression towards them until they started free ranging. I figured the first week it was a dominance thing but now he just won’t let them alone.

I have 2 flocks who free range near each other. Occasionally 2 roos may spare, but not often, and the older Rios don't get involved other than to break up fights. I have observed that each flock sticks to its own space. I think I could draw lines where their territories meet (all sparing happens along these lines). My guess is that your rooster feels his territory is being invading, and he thinks he needs to protect the resources for his flock. Any way to get the youngsters to head a different direction? With time the birds will probably work it out on their own, but I'm not sure what else to suggest in the meantime.

I have 2 flocks who free range near each other. Occasionally 2 roos may spare, but not often, and the older Rios don't get involved other than to break up fights. I have observed that each flock sticks to its own space. I think I could draw lines where their territories meet (all sparing happens along these lines). My guess is that your rooster feels his territory is being invading, and he thinks he needs to protect the resources for his flock. Any way to get the youngsters to head a different direction? With time the birds will probably work it out on their own, but I'm not sure what else to suggest in the meantime.
I’m going to give it a couple more weeks and see how it works out. What you said does make sense. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom