Rooster becoming depressed?

Shayshell

Hatching
Sep 1, 2021
I have a white leghorn rooster than is the sweetest and most lovable rooster. He protects his flock (4 hens) and is an absolute beast. About a week ago, my boyfriends step dad gave us a already grown brown leghorn rooster. We introduced them slowly, and at night. Everything went good, but the white leghorn would show his dominance towards him and make sure he wouldnt do anything. The new guy never fought back he only ran away and would get super terrified. He hard a hard time eating and drinking because he was scared. A couple days go by and now they are both perfectly fine, no fights, and bow eat comfortably. Only thing, my rooster is now crowing less i feel like. And not walking around as much anymore. The new rooster now crows way more than the original. Is this because hes older than the white leghorn? Is there any thing i could do about this?

They need more time to get used to each other. you will also need more hens. usually 10 hens per rooster is the ratio. your girls will end up getting over used.
That makes sense, i have a separate brooder at the moment and raising 50 chicks right now. Me and my boyfriend are making sure we have enough roosters for these new chicks, but they are still too young to know. Looks like i should get a few grown hens to keep it balanced !

Only thing, my rooster is now crowing less i feel like. And not walking around as much anymore. The new rooster now crows way more than the original. Is this because hes older than the white leghorn? Is there any thing i could do about this?
The new male is now dominant.
Sounds fairly peaceful, but that could change.
Need to think about how many males you really need,
and have a place ready to separate if blood starts to fly.

How old, in weeks or months, are the leghorn male and his girls?

They need more time to get used to each other. you will also need more hens. usually 10 hens per rooster is the ratio. your girls will end up getting over used.
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

The new male is now dominant.
Sounds fairly peaceful, but that could change.
Need to think about how many males you really need,
and have a place ready to separate if blood starts to fly.

How old, in weeks or months, are the leghorn male and his girls?

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.
I believe they are about 21 weeks old.

I have a white leghorn rooster than is the sweetest and most lovable rooster. He protects his flock (4 hens) and is an absolute beast. About a week ago, my boyfriends step dad gave us a already grown brown leghorn rooster. We introduced them slowly, and at night. Everything went good, but the white leghorn would show his dominance towards him and make sure he wouldnt do anything. The new guy never fought back he only ran away and would get super terrified. He hard a hard time eating and drinking because he was scared. A couple days go by and now they are both perfectly fine, no fights, and bow eat comfortably. Only thing, my rooster is now crowing less i feel like. And not walking around as much anymore. The new rooster now crows way more than the original. Is this because hes older than the white leghorn? Is there any thing i could do about this?
Had exactly the same situation where an old huge New Hampshire Red rooster got a beating by his son. Well we found him half dead in a paddock and is son covered with blood. We just manage to save the injured one, but he has lost his mojo, a lot of weight and is depressed. He is getting better slowly, bur now have to keep them separated. We split the flock in 2 and are never out at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom