Rooster behavior

ejbeez85

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2017
West Michigan
I'm totally new to chickens. We have 9 chickens in the coop and two are fbcm roosters and one sizzle rooster. We plan to thin out the roosters soon. The Marans are 3 weeks older than most of the flock except I have one Marans hen that is the same age. One of the fbcm rooster just started to get "mean" with the hens. He attacks them if they aren't eating how he wants them to or if they get in his bubble. Of course I think he might be mounting them now too. So is it normal behavior or not? The other fbcm rooster doesn't even crow. Usually it's a crowing battle between our sizzle and the "mean" fbcm. I appreciate any help or advice. Thank you.

I'm totally new to chickens. We have 9 chickens in the coop and two are fbcm roosters and one sizzle rooster. We plan to thin out the roosters soon. The Marans are 3 weeks older than most of the flock except I have one Marans hen that is the same age. One of the fbcm rooster just started to get "mean" with the hens. He attacks them if they aren't eating how he wants them to or if they get in his bubble. Of course I think he might be mounting them now too. So is it normal behavior or not? The other fbcm rooster doesn't even crow. Usually it's a crowing battle between our sizzle and the "mean" fbcm. I appreciate any help or advice. Thank you.
Sounds normal ... the rooster is supposed to be in command. Watching for predators, rounding up and scolding stray hens, etc. They're young, so he is practicing. So long as no one is being injured, everything is okay, but keep a watchful eye! If you see him mating, knock him off of the hen. 1) She may be too young to mate yet, and 2) He is not to mate in front of you. If he does, it is a challenge to your dominance and he must learn that YOU are upper management, and he is only middle management.

From your comment, "Of course I think he might be mounting them now too." I gather that he's a young cockerel just coming into breeding age. His behavior is normal at this age. Young cockerels are often rough on the females at this age. Give him time. He'll become easier on them, calling them for treats, etc. with age.

Sounds normal ... the rooster is supposed to be in command. Watching for predators, rounding up and scolding stray hens, etc. They're young, so he is practicing. So long as no one is being injured, everything is okay, but keep a watchful eye! If you see him mating, knock him off of the hen. 1) She may be too young to mate yet, and 2) He is not to mate in front of you. If he does, it is a challenge to your dominance and he must learn that YOU are upper management, and he is only middle management.

Interesting. Okay thank you for your help. Yes, I don't know if he does it when I'm not around but he sure does it a lot when I am.

A good rooster doesn't bully the hens. He won't exert discipline except when a squabble is occurring between a couple of hens. Then he'll come running from wherever he happens to be, and he steps in to admonish the instigator. It's over in almost a split second.

But cockerels lack this judgement, and they are often abusive instead of being disciplinarians. At this early age, this behavior should aid you in selecting these cockerels for removal from the flock if you're "thinning".

A good rooster doesn't bully the hens. He won't exert discipline except when a squabble is occurring between a couple of hens. Then he'll come running from wherever he happens to be, and he steps in to admonish the instigator. It's over in almost a split second.

But cockerels lack this judgement, and they are often abusive instead of being disciplinarians. At this early age, this behavior should aid you in selecting these cockerels for removal from the flock if you're "thinning".

Yeah he pretty much just attacks them for no reason. We will be making dinner out him soon.

Back
Top Bottom