Rooster behavior

What breed is he? Certain breeds have more aggressive roosters, almost every aggressive roo I have owned, besides 3, has been a Leghorn. The others were cornish cross and a Golden Campine. My dad also had bad experiences with Leghorn roosters, they are not show quality birds but they have come from different places and almost always are aggressive, I think I have had 2 or 3 nice Leghorn roosters.

I think I may be the only one who loves a mean rooster as long as they're in a pen I can get the eggs out of without being harassed I'm appreciative of a mean rooster. If a rooster will fight me he'll probably fight a fox lol. I had a mean one a couple years ago and when I would want to put my hens up he would square me up then jump at me I would catch him put him in the coop and he was so dominant that he would then make the hens come to him. I miss him every time I'm having to chase a hen around. I also would never file a spur down. Some roosters have killed chicken Hawks stabbing them through the eye to the brain. Thank God the owner hadn't filed it down . Keeping cocks if for the not so faint of heart, I gotta cock out there right now that would put someone in n the hospital if he got em right and IM PROUD OF IT! #SPURS#UP
Unfortunately, your post kind of scares me.

If you want to keep roosters, I would consider getting Orpingtons, Cochins, Orloffs, and Rocks.
I have five 10 week old cockerels: a Welsummer, SLW, NHR, and 2 Naked Necks. I only wanted the Welsummer and SLW roos and so far, knock on wood, they seem to be the two best ones. The other three were oops roos and my NHR pullet, whose name was Lucy, had to be renamed. And he earned the name Lucifer and will be the very first bird I process, with glee! While Lucy was a curious little chick, Lucifer appeared and was the devil himself. All of his devilish ways were evident at about 5-6 weeks. I will keep one of the NN’s, so those two boys will have to audition for me and I hope I choose the right one. :fl

Anot
My rooster started doing this awhile ago too, and what I would tell you to do, is to give (him personally) treats to show him that you aren't a threat. Treat the rest of your hens with respect too, not inducing loud noises around him. I would also at some point try to assert your dominance, and show him who's the boss. If he's mating with one of the ladies, shoo him away. By doing this you are showing that you are head hancho!! good luck!
Another thing, is that it's his responsibility to call when there is good present, so he's just looking out for his ladies! most of the time, they won't try anything if your feeding them, but keep a lookout! I hope some of this helps!

Mine will wait for me at the gate and follows me around. If I have to walk past him, he moves out of the way. I don't feel he feels I'm a threat at all and I don't feel he is a threat to me. I look out my window and he's at the fenceline looking for me. The girls are always by me and he doesn't care about that either. They jump right on my lap.

Lately my rooster has been following me when I go out to give the girls treats. Today I put down the treats, dropped the bag, then started walking away and my roo kept following me, as he did throughout the rest of the day. Is he just being friendly and wanting food or is he going to try and assert his dominance at some point?
Most of my roosters that followed me across the yard eventually launched a surprise attack. I don't give them long to hit the deep freezer cause I don't tolerate aggression in my showbirds

I use a trashcan lid as a shield :lau
This is exactly the kind of thing I didn’t want to have to do. I want to be able to just freely walk in my yard and not have to give any thought to whether or not I’m being stalked. I guess I have just been spoiled by my hens. Now in come the boys to spoil the fun. :barnie And as I’ve said before, if it was just me, okay, get attacked, process next day. But I have 3 grandsons that I want to be able to move freely around the yard from playhouse to swingset to sandbox to pool. And I want my chickens to be able to roam freely around the yard from bug to worm to lord knows what else. Hopefully I’ll be able to have my cake and eat it too. But my grandchildren do come first.

Back
Top Bottom