Rooster behavior

Lately my rooster has been following me when I go out to give the girls treats. Today I put down the treats, dropped the bag, then started walking away and my roo kept following me, as he did throughout the rest of the day. Is he just being friendly and wanting food or is he going to try and assert his dominance at some point?
Feed bucket aggression. He is associating you with appearance of fresh eats that taste sweetest when they first appear. Interaction may already be to point where you have been rewarding his approaches by putting out feed for him even after food already present. Counter measure I employ does not assume problem is dominance related, nor am I scared of roosters.

This may be a little long, but I am curious. I am new to chicken keeping, I've only had them for a few months and it has never occurred to me to be afraid of my rooster. I have been around animals my whole life and sort of figured if I can take a young horse and train it to be controllable and gentle without any sort of halter or saddle or bridle, then I have no need to worry about being bullied by a 6lb rooster. I do realize that some people are more timid or less comfortable around animals than I may be, but is my rooster suddenly going to grow fangs or something? ( I'm obviously not being serious about that part) I know that as he grows he will develop spurs and I intend to keep those filed down, but all of this talk of not looking them in the eye or not picking up a hen because he is around has me worried that I might do something wrong because I did not know better. Thanks in advance for your help!
You are in my boat. I have grown up around every kind of farm animal (except chickens) and even have six horses now. I have never been afraid of any of them, other than respecting the breeding males. We have a stallion now, and even though he’s young, he doesn’t worry me as much as the thought of one/all of my roos going rogue. I think I’ve been reading too much!
I have always loved and owned all kinds of animals and have never had any problems. I just love them. I think I’ll continue to just do that and not worry about touching, handling or looking at the roos the wrong way. If one happens to go rogue, I’ll deal with him then.

My wife has trouble with a couple of our roosters but most are quite peaceful around her. For some reason, the aggressive ones try to attack her shoes or boots and will occasionally go after her hand if she reaches down while in their coops. She has found the most effective way to deal with them is to "Speak softly and carry a big stick." When she keeps the stick between her and the rooster, they never try to spur her. If she loses her guard, they will sometimes strike.

Reading all this kind of frightens me. I currently have five 10 week old cockerels (two of which will be processed in 5-6 more weeks) along with 19 pullets. However, I am constantly watching these birds and looking for possible “bad” signs. I’m probably even reading things into their actions. I think I so badly want a peaceful flock that I’m gonna jinx myself. I have always been very loving on my older hens and I’m now afraid I won’t be able to continue loving on my hens. After everything I have read I’m making sure that I pick up my little pullets and love on them right in front of the cockerels, while not paying the cockerels any attention individually. I hope everything plays out just fine.
This sounds like a good plan. Don't handle the cockerels any more than is necessary as this will keep some of their natural fear of you in place. Once they are familiar with you, you become part of their flock and they'll try to dominate you. My two roosters are not human aggressive. I leave them alone and they leave me alone, but they DO come around when I am feeding the flock. They'll follow and move out of my way when necessary. I also use a long stick to move birds out of my way if necessary, so they don't look at the stick as coming from me. I have a 12 week old cockerel is the son of one of my roosters and he looks to be following in his father's footsteps. I've left him alone and I haven't had any aggression from him at all.

My rooster started doing this awhile ago too, and what I would tell you to do, is to give (him personally) treats to show him that you aren't a threat. Treat the rest of your hens with respect too, not inducing loud noises around him. I would also at some point try to assert your dominance, and show him who's the boss. If he's mating with one of the ladies, shoo him away. By doing this you are showing that you are head hancho!! good luck!

Do not interrupt him during lobe making,roosters,escpecially dominant ones,chase away subordinates when their mating and crowing.Pushing him off his hens is also a way of competition,that’s how males compete.If he isn’t attacking you now,he likely is gonna attack you if you proceed doing those things.You best bet to keep the peace is constantly make sure he steps out of your way and hold hens around him every so often.

This may be a little long, but I am curious. I am new to chicken keeping, I've only had them for a few months and it has never occurred to me to be afraid of my rooster. I have been around animals my whole life and sort of figured if I can take a young horse and train it to be controllable and gentle without any sort of halter or saddle or bridle, then I have no need to worry about being bullied by a 6lb rooster. I do realize that some people are more timid or less comfortable around animals than I may be, but is my rooster suddenly going to grow fangs or something? ( I'm obviously not being serious about that part) I know that as he grows he will develop spurs and I intend to keep those filed down, but all of this talk of not looking them in the eye or not picking up a hen because he is around has me worried that I might do something wrong because I did not know better. Thanks in advance for your help!

Back
Top Bottom