1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster being a jerk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicky1016, Apr 6, 2016.

1. chicky1016

chicky1016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    South jersey USA
    My poor hens. I have 15. Their feathers are balding on their backs and so are their heads. My rooster mates every 3 minutes some days. He doesnt have favorites. One of my hens is so stressed she doesn't even come out for free range anymore and shes extremely flighty. Hes about 14 mos old. Will he ever calm down? Ive thought about rehoming him but who wants a rooster that's out of control?Are all roosters this way? Hes so friendly to people. But not his ladies :/

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Not likely that he will settle down at this point. He is still acting like a 5 month old cockerel. Not all roosters are like that, in fact, most aren't.

3. chicky1016

Jun 20, 2015
    South jersey USA

Do you think he needs more hens??

4. Coker farms

Coker farms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2016
    South Carolina
    no, he already has the optimal number of 'ladies'...

5. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    More hens might further dilute his attentions, though I'm not sure if it would be a perfect solution. But hey, excuse to get more chickens, no? [​IMG]

It sounds like he never developed good etiquette with the hens- bummer, as it sounds like he's so friendly to people. [​IMG]

6. chicky1016

Jun 20, 2015
    South jersey USA
    He really is. He calls them over when there's food, always alerts them when something flys over... he really takes care of them-- it's just this one.thing.... :/

7. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    It's good that he is also trying to take care of them...maybe you could try hen saddles as well? It might make things easier on the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by