Rooster being a rooster or aggression?

Galaxy_rules

🌸🌱Galaxy🌱🌸
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2023
Canada 🍁
Hi,
I have a cockerel and when he mounts my hens he grabs their neck feathers and sometimes pulls a few out. Is he being just a rooster or is he being aggressive? He is very friendly to them when not mounting them and super friendly and nice to people. Should I sell him?
Thanks in advance!

Hi,
I have a cockerel and when he mounts my hens he grabs their neck feathers and sometimes pulls a few out. Is he being just a rooster or is he being aggressive? He is very friendly to them when not mounting them and super friendly and nice to people. Should I sell him?
Thanks in advance!
No, you shouldn't sell him. A rooster needs something to grab with his beak while mating to maintain his balance. Even very practiced roosters pull their hens back neck feathers out.

No, you shouldn't sell him. A rooster needs something to grab with his beak while mating to maintain his balance. Even very practiced roosters pull their hens back neck feathers out.
Ok, thanks for the info. Should I buy my hens chicken saddles?

Ok, thanks for the info. Should I buy my hens chicken saddles?
Most of the hens back and shoulder feather damage is done by the rooster claws. Gently filing his claws smooth can help with this. Whilebroken feathers on a hens back tend to disturb their keepers from what I've seen, it's not something the hens seem overly worried about. If the damage is serious, as in almost bare back then a saddle might help with this. the problem is saddles are really unhygienic and those that I've seen don't protect the hens shoulders which is often the point of highest feather loss through mating.
Post some pictures if you can.

Back
Top Bottom