Rooster booster peck no more? Need opinions!!

alright guys, heres my defense..
hide.gif
and im not anyone who knows anything about chicks, its just my personal experience...

i had picked out my nhr specifically because she was bleeding in the same way...the worker at the feed store did the same thing to her peck wound. i asked her about it and she said that the stuff helps clot the blood, as well as having a bitter taste, so other chickens wont be as tempted to peck at the wound. i brought her home anyway and put her with my other chicks. no one pecked at her and the stuff came off in about a week. i wouldnt bad mouth it because the wound healed quickly and the stuff seemed to work pretty well...

Quote:
As a matter of fact yes I was. Its the second time I have been in there and each time my boyfriend had to hear me rant about how disgusted I was with the set up. One of the bantams in one of the straight run brooders was crowing!! (Obviously if its crowing it doesn't really need to be in a brooder anymore....)

I wish I was brave enough to speak up and stand up to them, but I'm not. So for now rescuing some chicks from them is the best I can do.

Another thing...they have day old chicks mixed in with chicks that are weeks old, and the poor things are getting trampled!!
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree it works well, but I haven't really had anyone use it on chicks before. Especially in the amount the clerk used. And I got a little on my skin (which has a scratch on it from some chicken wire) and it burned like heck. So I can only imagine how the chick must have felt.
sad.png

Glad your little one healed up nicely! I have no doubts about this chick but I couldn't leave her there. That's just the person I am.
smile.png

Oh, believe me, I was really shocked too. And the SMELL!!!!!! There was blood, sooo many roosters mixed in...too many clearly 4-6 week old chicks with one weekers. I think I've resolved to never go there again and "support" them. I was able to get unusual chicks the "better" feed stores didn't have, but I'll order from MPC from now on if the other local feed stores don't carry my desired chicks. It was just not humane. I'm curious to see if they turn out to be healthy or not. But, HI NEIGHBOR!!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Wonderful that you rescued her.
thumbsup.gif

Is it possible to call your local USDA office and report the place? If memory serves me, they are responsible for making sure animals are handled and treated well in retail settings. I could be wrong, but someone has to oversee things like that, and maybe they could give education to the people involved. It seems that places like that would realize that selling healthy, non-bloody birds would make them more money.

Quote:
That's a great idea!!!
clap.gif

I was actually just telling my mom earlier today that they aren't going to make much money because no one is going to want to buy scraggly looking unhealthy birds. And that is too bad for the little chicks. I don't even want to know what they are planning on doing with the ones they don't sell.
sad.png

u got any skin healing cream like... savlon or sudocrem thtd help her wounds heal faster?

The sad thing is (and no tomatoes please) that when people "rescue" animals by "buying" them it only fuels the fire and leads to more suffering for years to come.... If a year or two's worth of birds died/didn't sell they'd either change the situation or stop selling them all together... I feel the same way about pets stores and back yard puppy mills.... If there were no market, people wouldn't breed...

Imo best thing to do for the sake of future generations of animals, is to complain to management that you were going to buy X number of birds but due to conditions you won't be buying any. If enough people do that, they'll change. Right now they got their money on "good enough" care (ie cheapest they could do) and that's all they care about.

Back
Top Bottom