Rooster box for silkies in combo with a small coop

KDbeads

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
East Central VA
Started this about noon today, had to piece together bits and pieces from crates we've scavenged over the last month but here it is, my new silkie coop (sleeping room only, still warm enough down here to not need a full sized coop) with a rooster box attached so we don't have to bring in the big splash every single night and stash him in the garage. It's ventilated through the partition between the box and the coop so there will be plenty of airflow for him.
Coop, still have to finish that ramp
DSCF4729a.JPG

Rooster box
DSCF4728a.JPG

Now to make another one for the white roo from the remaining puzzle pieces....

Last edited:
Are you going to add any hardware cloth to the fencing? It looks as if it would really be easy for a coon to reach in and pull the birds thru a piece at a time.
sickbyc.gif
Unless that is looking into still another coop?
idunno.gif

On the right is another coop, on the left we have a door to cover the side of the coop for right now (had to move it out of the way while working). Hubby is going to be bringing more hardware cloth and scrapped scalping screens home from work tomorrow and we'll be replacing the door with it.
big_smile.png
The screen/silver looking thing on the right past the wall of this coop is a scalping screen, he brought home a few of them a few weeks ago and I think I like them better than the hardware cloth, don't have to unroll them and they weigh 40lbs+

Been piecing our coops together just a little at a time, almost finished!

For those wondering how well this worked, we didn't hear a peep this morning and the coop is about 10' from the bedroom window. Opened it up and he hoped right out and was just as happy as he could be.
We got the other box done late last night but since it's only housing a roo and 1 hen it was a single box. No peep out of him either and he's the loud one.

Back
Top Bottom